The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

Quentin_Bargate

I am in a village near Lecce in southern Italy with my family as a guest at a wedding, and it has been the most wonderful event.

I took a number of shots with the K1 at the wedding, and it has performed admirably. Here are two - the Mayor with the happy couple and a sunset shot at the reception.

Unfortunately even the K1 cannot capture the full atmosphere and flavours of this awesome place! K1 with Pentax 24-70mm F/2.8

Sunset at the reception

I'm a guest, not here as a photographer, so it's been a lot of fun with no pressure. The 24-70mm F/2.8 Pentax has performed well, as has the 77mm Limited.

benroy

Subscriber Member
Quentin: The picture of the bridal couple is marvelous...thanks for sharing...love those glowing smiles!

Roy Benson

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin: The picture of the bridal couple is marvelous...thanks for sharing...love those glowing smiles!

Roy Benson
Roy, thanks. The bride is Sophie, the daughter of my first cousin, who married Roberto from this region of Italy. Although we are invited as family members, it is sort of "understood" that I will take a few shots, which I was very happy to do (they also had a pro candid photographer). KI excelled, particularly at high ISO.

Quentin_Bargate

;)
PS., Quentin, the first one is the 77 and the latter the 24-70....right???
Thorkil
Both with the 24-70mm, which is getting it's second wind :thumbup:

Just realised I left the tripod plate behind in the UK. We head off in to Lecce itself today so will probably use the tried and tested Sigma DP2M and pano head for shots there. Bit of blast from the recent past. Or I might just sit in a cafe and drink coffee...:cool:

nikonf

Lovely images - Quentin and Michiel !

Here is my dilemma - Which wide angle would you choose - the 35mm f1.4 Sigma or the Pentax 31mm?

Thank you,
Mike

;)

Just realised I left the tripod plate behind in the UK. We head off in to Lecce itself today so will probably use the tried and tested Sigma DP2M and pano head for shots there. Bit of blast from the recent past. Or I might just sit in a cafe and drink coffee...:cool:

Quentin_Bargate

Lovely images - Quentin and Michiel !

Here is my dilemma - Which wide angle would you choose - the 35mm f1.4 Sigma or the Pentax 31mm?

Thank you,
Mike
Mike

Many thanks!

Get the Sigma 35mm F/1.4. More modern design, silent focussing, low distortion, very sharp.

nikonf

Quentin,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Keep those Great K1 images coming - very inspirational - You are demonstrating what this camera is capable of!

Best,
Mike

Thorkil

;)

Coffee at a cafe looks like a proper solution, but after a couple of cups, you ought to put the 24-70 back on to the K1 and take a walk in the streets of Italy, and let the circumstances rule. Its seems that, especially in the top-picture of the two, is really not that bad at all as you once stated, actually it is surprisingly sharp and well balanced, it looks (and even withdrawn of your postabilities, it ought to be given a fair chance, I think, (right?))....so time for some Italian streets, right? :) (and let the DP rest for a while)
All the best cappucini's..!!! :thumbup:
Thorkil

anGy

Mike
Get the Sigma 35mm F/1.4. More modern design, silent focussing, low distortion, very sharp.
I've got both, first bought the sigma and was very disappointed by 'yet another' de-centering lens issue.
This lens is also too big for me.
So I sent it back and took the Pentax 31mm instead (despite some negative reviews).
This is a nice small, sharp lens.
Very good/appealing results on the K1.
AF (slow but I don't really care for a WA) and pricetag being the major drawbacks of it.

Sometimes more modern doesn't mean better :)

UHDR

have you guys experimented with SR + B&W photos? does it give that leica monochrome (or generally monochrome camera) look? :grin:

Michiel Schierbeek

I've got both, first bought the sigma and was very disappointed by 'yet another' de-centering lens issue.
This lens is also too big for me.
So I sent it back and took the Pentax 31mm instead (despite some negative reviews).
This is a nice small, sharp lens.
Very good/appealing results on the K1.
AF (slow but I don't really care for a WA) and pricetag being the major drawbacks of it.

Sometimes more modern doesn't mean better :)
I am very happy with the FA 31 as well. My most used lens at the moment.
Also the Voigtlander SL 40/2 is a very sharp and wonderful lens on the K-1 and very small!
It is very rare in PK mount but I know one for sale (not mine). PM me if interested.
I am now sort of waiting for the Laowa 12mm Zero-D. if you google it you find a couple of good reviews on that lens.
I think I try this lens instead of the 15mm or 11mm Irix. Well I wait for some more reviews....

Quentin_Bargate

I am very happy with the FA 31 as well. My most used lens at the moment.
Also the Voigtlander SL 40/2 is a very sharp and wonderful lens on the K-1 and very small!
It is very rare in PK mount but I know one for sale (not mine). PM me if interested.
I am now sort of waiting for the Laowa 12mm Zero-D. if you google it you find a couple of good reviews on that lens.
I think I try this lens instead of the 15mm or 11mm Irix. Well I wait for some more reviews....
Good to know. The 77mm Limited is excellent.

The Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art is exceptional, however. The problem, though, with all "silentwave" or hypersonic driven lenses, like the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art, is size. I love the small size of the Pentax 77mm Limited and the 100mm F/2.8 Macro WR, but not the noise of the screw drive.

Michiel Schierbeek

The 15/2.4 IRIX lens is now for sale at Amazone Europe for Nikon and Canon mount. Pentax has to wait till the end of the month's by law of commerce. :cry:But it gives us time to read the experiences of others first. No independent reviews yet as far as I know.

Paul2660

Hi Michael

I was not aware that Irix will make the 15mm in the K mount. Is that confirmed now? If so great news as this promises to be an interesting optic.

Thanks
Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Michael

I was not aware that Irix will make the 15mm in the K mount. Is that confirmed now? If so great news as this promises to be an interesting optic.

Thanks
Paul C
I am very happy with my 15-30mm Pentax. For that reason, this new lens, which I agree looks like it should be good, is of limited interest to me.