The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

tsjanik

Hi Tom,

Lost me on this question. With PS (pixel shift), if I have movement possible, I will always take one frame non PS. So later on in photoshop, I can merge the two images, PS and non-PS, then just paint back the parts of the file that had PS movement aliasing issues. With water this is very easy since it's almost always the entire part of the file where water is concerned (and PS doesn't really add much here with a slower exposure for water). Trees branches are a bit more time consuming since you may have just one group of branches that were moving during the PS capture, but you have to examine the entire image just to make sure.

Paul C
Hi Paul:

I'm not familiar with the PS files and software at all. I was making the assumption that in PS mode, four separate files are created (and accessible individually) that are then processed together into a PS file by the software. If this is the case, any of the individual PS files could be used as a layer to hide movement problems.

Thanks,

Tom

anGy

I also like my K1 and find it excellent in IQ. With pixel shift it's not at all far from my Leica S in sharpness, contrast & tonal transitions.
But I'm disappointed that there was no new lens / clear info about new lens launched during the last Photokina.

I like my 100mm limited (from F4). I did like the 31mm limited (that was not recommended to me but still appeared to be a very good lens) for its very nice rendering. But it could be sharper and better in AF, and isn't cheap, so I've sent it back.
The Sigma Art 35mm I purchased was de-centered, sent back too.
I'll probably buy the 31mm again, maybe not on par with a (good sample) 35mm sigma but I find the rendering & physical spec. strong + points.

The 24-70mm f2,8 received mixed reviews (corner sharpness, bokeh) and the 15-30mm is far too wide for me. It's been years I haven't used zoom lenses so I expect an IQ disappointment with them, even if they're not bad in their category.

I'm planning to by a Tamron 28-75 to get a cheap, no high expectations, flexible option.
The Zeiss 21mm is also on my wishlist, should be very nice on the K1.

But I would really appreciate to see Ricoh putting (for instance) a revamped limited 31/77/100 serie along with some nice 50 & 85mm on the market.

Are you guys really happy with your set of lenses ? which ones would you recommend ?

Paul2660

Hi Paul:

I'm not familiar with the PS files and software at all. I was making the assumption that in PS mode, four separate files are created (and accessible individually) that are then processed together into a PS file by the software. If this is the case, any of the individual PS files could be used as a layer to hide movement problems.

Thanks,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Sorry, I missed your point. Yes the PS takes 4 images, but they are combined into a single raw file in camera as far as I know. Now I have been told by some experts who I sent some PS files to, that all LR is doing is just laying the 4 files on top of each other, with very little else, which is not the best possible solution. This was apparent in raw digger software, (something I am personally not familiar with). So in Rawdigger, you might be able to pull out a single of the 4 shots.

All the raw converters, Silkypix, Pentax (Silkypix subset) Iridient, and LR, in their processing of the PS files, combine all four shots together during the raw conversion.

So for my workflow, I just take a couple of non PS images, just to cover all the bases in case I have excessive movement issues.

Paul C

Paul2660

I also like my K1 and find it excellent in IQ. With pixel shift it's not at all far from my Leica S in sharpness, contrast & tonal transitions.
But I'm disappointed that there was no new lens / clear info about new lens launched during the last Photokina.

I like my 100mm limited (from F4). I did like the 31mm limited (that was not recommended to me but still appeared to be a very good lens) for its very nice rendering. But it could be sharper and better in AF, and isn't cheap, so I've sent it back.
The Sigma Art 35mm I purchased was de-centered, sent back too.
I'll probably buy the 31mm again, maybe not on par with a (good sample) 35mm sigma but I find the rendering & physical spec. strong + points.

The 24-70mm f2,8 received mixed reviews (corner sharpness, bokeh) and the 15-30mm is far too wide for me. It's been years I haven't used zoom lenses so I expect an IQ disappointment with them, even if they're not bad in their category.

I'm planning to by a Tamron 28-75 to get a cheap, no high expectations, flexible option.
The Zeiss 21mm is also on my wishlist, should be very nice on the K1.

But I would really appreciate to see Ricoh putting (for instance) a revamped limited 31/77/100 serie along with some nice 50 & 85mm on the market.

Are you guys really happy with your set of lenses ? which ones would you recommend ?
Hi,

For my work, the 15-30 is my number one lens. Very good from 15-24mm, but gets a bit de centered from 24mm out. Most times I can correct with aperture, but I have been caught a few times.

35mm Sigma Art, excellent lens. I understand your point of a de-centered lens, as I had similar issues with Nikon Art glass, but the 35mm I received is very good.

55mm 1.4 It's a DA lens, but don't let that fool you, has plenty of image circle for full frame, and very good lens. Has a very nice Bokeh wide open also.

24-70 I more than likely will sell this lens, just not that pleased with mine. Great from 24mm to 50mm, but has some issues from 50 to 70mm

70-200, as they like to say" it just doesn't get any better than this". What lens, I carry this every where I go with the K1. Just an amazing optic, as good as the Nikon 200-500 is. Just can't find any issues with this lens at all. Just wish Pentax made a 1.4 converter that worked on full frame that wasn't 600.00

77mm 1.8. Run don't walk to get this one. Really an amazing little lens. Fits in your pocket, old film style lens, thus hard stops at Infinity but is one sharp lens. For the size and weight, it's always with me when the K1 is in use.

100mm 2.8. Another great lens, very very slow to focus, but sharp. Great for macro, or just the 100mm focal length. Odd looking and strange especially for a 2.8 lens, but it works.

14mm Samyang. Last by not least. Hard to beat this lens period. What a performer. No coma wide open, very sharp across the frame, but of course a pain to focus due to the massive amount of turning it takes. But cheap, and really I can't think of any Nikon or Canon 14mm that can come close to this lens. You will find the Rokinon version easier to find for the K1, all the same inside.

Paul C

Paul2660

One from last weekend. Had no choice but to shoot with the M Way towards the top of the shot, thus trails occurred due to retro-focus lens and Astrotracer issues. It's interesting to note that it's possible that iOptron traced shots may not have this same problem as I have seen several from MF and the 28mm F 4.5 lens (17mm 35mm equivalent) which seem to handle the edges better. This is actually a combination of several files, Astrotracer for the sky, then a series of long exposures, non traced for the Bluff illuminated with a single lantern.

Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

A shot of our refurbished kitchen taken on a tripod with the K1, pixel shift, 15-30mm Pentax F/2.8 at about F/11 and 16mm, and some tone mapping in post.

I have been looking for something low profile for my K1.
After reading internet I choose small zoom Pentax F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5
Bought one for 56$.
First test show that pentax had clever idea. This lens is size of F 50 f/1.4
So it work as 3 lens in one: 35mm f/3.5 50mm f/4 70mm f/4.5

Post in Capture One :)

Lens min. distance is 70cm. But it have "macro option"

Are there better lenses? yes :) but is so small and cheap.

anGy

Regarding the 15-30mm, I've picked one last week but have an AF issue: this lens has a severe back focussing @30mm, moderate @24mm and AF is accurate @18 & 15mm.
@30mm if the AF micro adjustment is at its max (+10) I have an almost accurate AF target (let's say that +11 or +12 would have been better but the K1 setting stops at +10).
Of course the problem is obvious, if I keep the +10 setting to avoid the backfocussing @ 30mm, I get a front focussing @21, 18, 15mm (severe @18 & 15mm).
There is no way to adjust the AF fine tuning to the focal length used for a zoom lens.

Before 'trying' to return the lens to my dealer I would like to know if you guys do get a consistant AF accuracy all along the zoom range ?

ps: I understand that the AF function of a wide angle lens is less important as we normally do use it on tripod with live view but still, such behavior is annoying and not necessarily acceptable.

Quentin_Bargate

It needs to be cross-bred with mine, which suffers from front focusing :confused:

I have set -7 with the K1 and it seems to be a lot better, but as you say, I rarely if ever use auto focus. I use live view on a tripod for almost all the shots I take with the lens.

Regarding the 15-30mm, I've picked one last week but have an AF issue: this lens has a severe back focussing @30mm, moderate @24mm and AF is accurate @18 & 15mm.
@30mm if the AF micro adjustment is at its max (+10) I have an almost accurate AF target (let's say that +11 or +12 would have been better but the K1 setting stops at +10).
Of course the problem is obvious, if I keep the +10 setting to avoid the backfocussing @ 30mm, I get a front focussing @21, 18, 15mm (severe @18 & 15mm).
There is no way to adjust the AF fine tuning to the focal length used for a zoom lens.

Before 'trying' to return the lens to my dealer I would like to know if you guys do get a consistant AF accuracy all along the zoom range ?

ps: I understand that the AF function of a wide angle lens is less important as we normally do use it on tripod with live view but still, such behavior is annoying and not necessarily acceptable.