The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

raycox

From today with the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8
I could fall in love with this lens but it is just a cold piece of metal and glass I can't talk with.

I completely agree with the comments about this image, having seen both versions. This image is very powerful compositionally. Having viewed it several times the thing that I notice is the importance of the round shape of the satellite dish. Covering that round object with your finger while viewing on screen has a dramatic effect, sort of like removing the mole from Cindy Crawford. Is it just me?

Ray

Quentin_Bargate

Ellie likes her rebuilt stables, but where is the widescreen TV?! K1 plus 77mm Limited.

...and she also likes rolling in the mud!

Michael your photos are very very inspiring!
And Now For Something Completely Different:
Pitbike photoshot:
K1 + DFA 24-70, DA60-200 and F fish 17-28. Light 3xRF-602 + YN560 II + PENTAX AF 540FGZ.
Focus: prefocus on desired position so almost manual focus ;)

this one only sun :)

Full story

raycox

Looking for some advice and information. I am interested in adding the Carl Zeiss Distagon 25mm 2.8 to my K1 lenses. I see this lens is available as a Contax MM mount lens, Nikon ZF, and NikonZF2. Is there an advantage of any one of these over the other? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ray

D&A

Thank you for your thoughts on this photograph,Will. I was rather happy with this one myself, the light was right as well although freezing cold but you can't see that.
Well in a way one does get that feeling. When I read Will's comments, I was just about to say (post) that unlike your medium format images of the same/similar subject, the K1 images seemed to be of a much cooler temp (processing wide). I didn't know if that was the differences of how the K1 captured the scene vs. the medium format images or whether it simply reflected a cold day and a blueish rendition of the scene.

Dave (D&A)

Michiel Schierbeek

Well in a way one does get that feeling. When I read Will's comments, I was just about to say (post) that unlike your medium format images of the same/similar subject, the K1 images seemed to be of a much cooler temp (processing wide). I didn't know if that was the differences of how the K1 captured the scene vs. the medium format images or whether it simply reflected a cold day and a blueish rendition of the scene.

Dave (D&A)
Also it has probably to do something with PP. On my monitor I do Find the K-1 image a bit on the greenish side, but it could also be that there is a lot of greenish moisture en green color in the sea. Anyway the images from that same day on the Z turn out to be a lot warmer in colour. Also the Zeiss lenses tend to cool things down. Well it is all very tricky.

Just received my Leitaxed C/Y Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 35-70.

WildRover

I took this one out of the junk pile to try a different approach to processing. Over at Pentax Forums (sorry), K-amps has been sharing some of his PP for some terrific images he's taken with the K-1. Essentially some negative Dehaze, negative Clarity, and less Contrast. Although I've been trying to "be good" with the sliders, this is an opposite approach than I usually take. I skipped over this image in my initial edits in Lightroom and counted it as lost. Also, in the film days, with 35mm, 6x7, and even 4x5, I never ever considered cropping as an approach to take. Now, with the 645D and even the K-1, I'm doing just that regularly. Not sure how big this could be printed with such a crop.

I've included the out of camera image to show just how much adjustability the K-1 files have.

K-1, 15-30mm @ 15mm, ISO 100, f/11, 197 seconds

Attachments

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel

The 25mm zeiss lens for Nikon, converted using a Leitax replacement mount for Pentax, is an option I have been looking at. The 25mm Contax / Yashica mount lens was a favourite of mine on my old Contax film cameras in the 1980's. Did you do the mount conversion yourself or send the lens to Leitax?

Loving the results in your talented hands!

Quentin
Sorry for the late answer Quentin, just see this message. I did the conversion myself. It was really easy.
The C/Y 35-70 zoom is quiet difficult so I had it done.
I am sure you will like Zeiss 25/2.8. It has a great punch to it. Stopped down it is so sharp all over and it also can focus real close if you might like that.

And thank you :)

WildRover

Michiel,

Your Contax/Yashica Zeiss zoom is one of the few C/Y mount lenses that are not the MM variety that Leitax can convert, is it not? I have a cabinet with several C/Y lenses from when I used a duo of RTS's back in the day. I would love to be able to use those lenses, but I thought the Zeiss Leitax conversions were only for the MM C/Y variants. I have the Zeiss 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4, 135/2.8, and the 200/3.5. It would be great to be able to use these, but they are not MM lenses.

Just wanted to let you know that although I was a slow convert, I am really liking your cityscape (what are you calling them) images. They seem to be an anthropology study or perhaps more archaeological. Your best ones are fascinating. That one higher up on this page is just sublime. I viewed on that for quite some time. Wondering…….of the people that use that center path behind the gate, the moss on the roofs - must be a damp climate, the ornateness of the buildings, the strange (to me) balconies - how do you access them - are there doors behind those blinds. The blinds seem new as are the railings except the middle one. But, on the ground floor the mold or grit has built up. The blind on the left was used in a partially opened fashion. The window to the right is open with those beautiful red flowers. Wow, thats the best part for me. A hint of who lives there. I just don't like those two cars on the right. If it weren't for those…..(just my opinion). Keep up the good work.

Rick

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel,

Your Contax/Yashica Zeiss zoom is one of the few C/Y mount lenses that are not the MM variety that Leitax can convert, is it not? I have a cabinet with several C/Y lenses from when I used a duo of RTS's back in the day. I would love to be able to use those lenses, but I thought the Zeiss Leitax conversions were only for the MM C/Y variants. I have the Zeiss 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/1.4, 135/2.8, and the 200/3.5. It would be great to be able to use these, but they are not MM lenses.

Just wanted to let you know that although I was a slow convert, I am really liking your cityscape (what are you calling them) images. They seem to be an anthropology study or perhaps more archaeological. Your best ones are fascinating. That one higher up on this page is just sublime. I viewed on that for quite some time. Wondering…….of the people that use that center path behind the gate, the moss on the roofs - must be a damp climate, the ornateness of the buildings, the strange (to me) balconies - how do you access them - are there doors behind those blinds. The blinds seem new as are the railings except the middle one. But, on the ground floor the mold or grit has built up. The blind on the left was used in a partially opened fashion. The window to the right is open with those beautiful red flowers. Wow, thats the best part for me. A hint of who lives there. I just don't like those two cars on the right. If it weren't for those…..(just my opinion). Keep up the good work.

Rick
Answered to your question already a few hours ago but this nasty Getdpi thing happened again; logging you out if you think longer then a few minutes about your text. afterwards everything is gone. well here we go again.

My 35-70 zoom has the highest aperture number in green so it must be a MM lens. There is an option for your 50/1.7 AE lens with mount and instructions on the Leitax site. For some of your other lenses i would drop David from Leitax a mail and ask if he can convert them.

Actually this is a project I have been working on for a long time and i hope to turn it in a book soon called Opale et Abâtre after the coastnames. It is a photographic journey from North to south from Berck to Le Havre.
In deed there is a lot of rain in this territory and therefore al lot of moisture and texture. Out of season these places are often very desolated. I am attracted to the surreal solitude of it in combination with the different levels created by the cliffs.

Quentin_Bargate

Sorry for the late answer Quentin, just see this message. I did the conversion myself. It was really easy.
The C/Y 35-70 zoom is quiet difficult so I had it done.
I am sure you will like Zeiss 25/2.8. It has a great punch to it. Stopped down it is so sharp all over and it also can focus real close if you might like that.

And thank you :)
Encouraged by your success, Michiel, I have ordered a Zeiss 25mm F/2.8 and the Leitax mount conversion. If it works, (i.e. if I don't mess it up) the possibilities of other Zeiss or Leica lens conversions is quite exciting, particularly given that Pentax have too few really good lenses and there are so few other alternatives.

This is all the more so because, after lengthy comparative testing, I have concluded the Irix 15mm F/2.4 is not quite good enough. Difficult to focus accurately, and when focused, a little less sharp than the 15mm end of the Pentax 15-30mm F2.8 which is very sharp and reliably so when lens correction is set in firmware. With a camera like the the KI, to take full advantage of pixel shift, I need to work with reliably sharp lenses. The Irix just falls short, and in some shots looks downright soft. Might be my sample is flawed, but nearly-good-enough is not good enough. Pity, given its great strength is no CA.

So here's hoping!

WildRover

Answered to your question already a few hours ago but this nasty Getdpi thing happened again; logging you out if you think longer then a few minutes about your text. afterwards everything is gone. well here we go again.

My 35-70 zoom has the highest aperture number in green so it must be a MM lens. There is an option for your 50/1.7 AE lens with mount and instructions on the Leitax site. For some of your other lenses i would drop David from Leitax a mail and ask if he can convert them.

Actually this is a project I have been working on for a long time and i hope to turn it in a book soon called Opale et Abâtre after the coastnames. It is a photographic journey from North to south from Berck to Le Havre.
In deed there is a lot of rain in this territory and therefore al lot of moisture and texture. Out of season these places are often very desolated. I am attracted to the surreal solitude of it in combination with the different levels created by the cliffs.
Thanks for getting back to me with a response, I really appreciate it. I will email David at Leitax to see what options I might have. Good luck with your book project.

Rick

Quentin_Bargate

...and a Cornish gated field.

This a not quite perfect Silkypix converted pixelshift shot. Some moving branches have left a few visible artefacts.

Tried as a colour shot, but I prefer it in monochrome.

Sigma 35mm Art F/1.4

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Encouraged by your success, Michiel, I have ordered a Zeiss 25mm F/2.8 and the Leitax mount conversion. If it works, (i.e. if I don't mess it up) the possibilities of other Zeiss or Leica lens conversions is quite exciting, particularly given that Pentax have too few really good lenses and there are so few other alternatives.

This is all the more so because, after lengthy comparative testing, I have concluded the Irix 15mm F/2.4 is not quite good enough. Difficult to focus accurately, and when focused, a little less sharp than the 15mm end of the Pentax 15-30mm F2.8 which is very sharp and reliably so when lens correction is set in firmware. With a camera like the the KI, to take full advantage of pixel shift, I need to work with reliably sharp lenses. The Irix just falls short, and in some shots looks downright soft. Might be my sample is flawed, but nearly-good-enough is not good enough. Pity, given its great strength is no CA.

So here's hoping!
I did expect that the IRIX wouldn't be good enough for you. It is a difficult lens to work with. Anyway 15mm is most of the time to wide for me, so I wan't use it much, especially while traveling. To big.
I take the FA 20, which is nice and small, with me.

Did you buy version I or II of the Zeiss 25? Version one has that little ugly thing on it from the older ai lenses. If not it may be a bit more difficult, but not to much, to convert.
The old version did not have to go to all the procedures instructed. That's why it was so easy. Did you buy a caliper yet?