The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Examples of Silkypix vs LR on Pixel shift conversions (cross posted)

Paul2660

The Pentax K1, has gotten some good and bad press lately, but one review on Dpreview over a month ago really started a negative chain reaction. This review has since been corrected, but as with many things, first impressions tend to be the most important.

I wanted to attach 3 images, from a test I was working on yesterday. Good lighting, and a bit of wind. The wind was not consistent and tended to hit different parts of my scene with more or less force. What is so impressive to me is just how bad the LR conversion is vs the one from Silkypix. If all you have is LR or ACR for the K1, you really need to look to Silkypix for now. I have no faith that Adobe will attempt to revisit their current conversion for Pixel Shift on the K1, and I base this on the fact that Adobe never has fixed their less than stellar conversion for the Fuji X-trans files. The problems with that conversion have been known about now for over 2 years.

There are three images attached, the first two are Silkypix conversions on image 724 and a follow on image 725. The third image is LR's conversion of the same file. The point being that if you are only using LR for Pixel shift raw conversions, you are more than likely missing a lot. The LR image is totally blurred and basically worthless, where as the exact same raw file from Silkypix is very good, in fact amazing, when compare the two conversions. The other Silkypix conversion is from the next shot, 725. I included this to show how the shadow area to the left of center improves considerably. Both conversions have a bit of trouble on the same part of the file in image 724, however more than likely the Silkypix conversion of 724 would hold up.

These conversions were done only for the effect to show the differences in blur recovery. By default I feel Silkypix has too much sharpening applied and a bit too my saturation. But a small price to pay for recovery of the image. You can also see in first two files that the part of the tree just to the left of center, in the shade, is still having trouble, even with Silkypix, as it's blurred. However I took several test files and in the very next frame you can see much more detail in this same part of the image.

So for now, if you are using pixel shift or testing it, outdoors make sure you work with Silkypix Developer's Studio. You can download the software for a 30 free trial and it's not inexpensive at $295.00. It's a issue to take into consideration if you are looking at the K1 as the extra cost of this software takes the K1 into the $2,100.00 range. Still a margin compared to other cameras in this class.

I would like to see Pentax step and address this software issue, by at least giving a coupon or discount towards the full Silkypix software, as their version which ships with the camera might as well just be left out of the box.

Paul C

Silkypix K1 Pixel shift no2.jpgSilkypix K1 Pixel shift no1.jpgLR example 1 pixel shfit K1 blur.jpg

Charles Wood

Paul, thanks for posting your images. The K1 reviews, as you note, have been good and bad. But they also have served to highlight the number of so-called reviewers that are incompetent to review cameras or other things electronic in nature. An example of a review where the writer neither comprehended or cared what the K1 is all about, is the current review on Product reviews, how-tos, deals and the latest tech news - CNET. It was written by an individual, judging from images posted, with little or no photography or post processing skills. The two major and unique capabilities of the K1, Astro Tracer and Pixel Shift, were not even mentioned. Once again the issue of AF was listed as a con and the K1 was judged to be inferior to the Nikon D750. The ignorance of the writer was stunning.

- - - Updated - - -

Michiel Schierbeek

Paul, thanks for posting your images. The K1 reviews, as you note, have been good and bad. But they also have served to highlight the number of so-called reviewers that are incompetent to review cameras or other things electronic in nature. An example of a review where the writer neither comprehended or cared what the K1 is all about, is the current review on Product reviews, how-tos, deals and the latest tech news - CNET. It was written by an individual, judging from images posted, with little or no photography or post processing skills. The two major and unique capabilities of the K1, Astro Tracer and Pixel Shift, were not even mentioned. Once again the issue of AF was listed as a con and the K1 was judged to be inferior to the Nikon D750. The ignorance of the writer was stunning.

- - - Updated - - -
These CNET etc are all mainstream go with the flow reviews. As we say in the art world; he is looking with his ears. They have to put their little muck on every product.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
These CNET etc are all mainstream go with the flow reviews. As we say in the art world; he is looking with his ears. They have to put their little muck on every product.
Interesting! My piano teacher's worst criticism of any modern technical wizard is "He's listening with his eyes." :grin:

--Matt

Paul2660

Hello Charles:

Yes, a lot of the features of the K1 have been overlooked by many. The interface has been hashed over a lot, I find now I prefer it, over Nikon and with Live View (at least on my D810 and D750) it takes a lot longer to move around the screen.

Pixel shift, is really an amazing feature and if someone reviews the K1 without mentioning it, they have done the camera a great disservice. Ricoh-Imaging, did a pretty big disservice, with the software they included and the fact that they did not get hardly any seed units out to reviewers that could take advantage of the new features of the K1.

The key aspect to Pixel shift, for a landscape shooter, is movement of subject matter mainly due to wind. If someone is attempting to shoot moving wildlife or sports that is a big mistake. Wind sadly still takes a considerable toll on the pixel shift images, even with the Movement option checked. However the use of Silkypix will give you quite a bit better conversion than any other software I have seen that supports the K1 pixel shift.

You also can get seemingly away with a bit more movement with a wide angle lens, in the 14mm to 35mm range, I guess since it's harder for the eye to see some of the problems due to movement, where as when you zoom in even to 70mm, all the slight mistakes due to wind become very apparent. On pine tress especially, which is so tragic as Pixel shift renders a pine tree amazingly well for the fine needle details.

So, for the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley etc. Pixel shift could be used 100% of time IMO, but in areas with trees, and wind, you need to be a bit more careful.

Paul C

Bugleone

For those of us who don't have the K1, but might be thinking about it, could someone say what the total capture time is when using pixel shift,......presumably flash heads are not an option either(?) What software actually comes with the camera for use with the pixel shift? If one needs a 300dollar prog (300 POUNDS no doubt here in the UK!) then this cuts well into the good pricing of K1....

Paul2660

Total capture time is around 4 to 5 seconds.

The camera takes the 4 exposures in about 1.5 sec and immediately processes them which takes 2 sec. After that there is some writing being done as the card active light is on but camera control comes back.

Paul C

Paul2660

With the US version of the camera, Pentax ships "Digital Utility software", which is using Silkypix under the covers it appears to process. However this software is worst than Canon's DPP, has very little controls for basic image work, (exposure, Highlight, saturation), etc. It's the first piece of software I have used that loads a browser like a win 3.1 program (in years). You may spend an hour trying to figure out where the damn image is after you select it, at least I did (it's under the browser window), which doesn't close like most modern software.

Enough said, Pentax had an excellent chance to really push new tech forward. Their marketing is terrible, and the software included with the camera would make a lot of folks send the unit back. I only downloaded Silkypix full code as a test and found it much more to my liking in that it works like a modern piece of software should work. Pentax should have worked out a deal with Silkypix to at least use the non Pro version of their software and include it with the camera as that alone will allow you to work up the pixel shift files. IMO a huge oversight by Pentax.

Currently LR does a half assed attempt to work the files, but Adobe probably spend all of 5 minutes working on their solution. It appears they don't attempt any alignment and just process out the 4 raw files and in fact LR will exasterbate movement issues, as shown in my first post. LR seems to get confused with any motion in the file and in fact seemingly makes things worse. No doubt this will be Adobe's only attempt on the K1 files mainly due to the low number of users, (I also base this on the fact that their current Fuji X-Trans conversion is less than perfect) and they really did nothing new with the X-Pro2. Again, something different that may require a bit more work. However it always fascinates me that start ups like Iridient and Silkypix can get it right with a lot less number of people working.

I still am holding out hope for C1, but not much. Since it's clear to me that some movement just can't be accounted for, Phase One more than likely will never support Pixel shift as in certain situations you will never get a completely clean shot without movement errors. Phase in their conservative approach to camera conversions more than likely will not allow this. As the K1 does not increase the image size like the Olympus does, I don't see Phase worrying too much as losing market share, just quality of conversion.

One thing I have learned now, is look at the preview of the pixel shift shot on the camera, if you see aliasing, or movement problems on the camera odds are 99% they will transfer over to the file image (even Silkypix can't correct these) and thus you might want to shoot again. Even the movement correction in the K1 really can't correct for much more than just the slightest amount of movement due to wind.

So, if you are shooting in a landscape situation with trees, you really need to look at your subject and try to time out your shot. Areas without a lot of trees will really shine with this technology, but in my neck of the woods you really need to watch for movement. But if I get to the Grand Canyon or Monument Valley, this technology will be used on every shot.

Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

I think suggestions that the cost of SilkyPix reduces the attraction of the K1 are, with respect, absurd.

If you are considering buying a K1 because it undercuts the competition, that is a bad reason. Buy it because it is the best camera for your work, or it it is not the best camera for your work, buy a different camera.

It is best to treat pixel shift as a tool for studio / still life or equivalent uses, in the same way one might use a scanning back or a multi-shot (a better name for pixel sift) camera from Hasselblad (also works well in some landscape situations as Paul suggests). Hasselblad users pay thousands more for a multi-shot back and the advantages are obvious in its narrow operating window. They are similarly obvious with the K1. I have said before, and I will say again for benefit of anyone from Pentax who might be reading these threads, that an upgraded K1, possibly called a K1 Studio - which includes an adjustable pause between the 4 shots to allow studio strobes to recycle and fire - would complete the K1 feature set and make the K1 much more attractive to a wider range of users.

To revert to SilkyPix, I used to use a version of that software with the Kodak 14nx some years ago. Its a bit quirky but its good quality software. I might buy it because the Pentax software is not usable for serious work. And it's worth the money, given the Pentax K1, overall, is in my view the best DSLR currently made.

mediumcool

If you are considering buying a K1 because it undercuts the competition, that is a bad reason.
Why bad? Income levels vary—mine is around $20,000 pa (Australian disability pension), and affordable pricing is of crucial importance to me. For anything.

… the Pentax K1, overall, is in my view the best DSLR currently made.
So, isn’t it being more affordable an unalloyed bonus? Your opinion cited just above appears to rather negate your first quote!

I will be purchasing a K-1 [note spelling] as soon as I can sell my Mamiya/Aptus kit (and my Sony a7 if necessary). Buying a K-1 in Australia does not give one much change out of $3000.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Total capture time is around 4 to 5 seconds.

The camera takes the 4 exposures in about 1.5 sec and immediately processes them which takes 2 sec. After that there is some writing being done as the card active light is on but camera control comes back.

Paul C
Just a note, as this information I provided is incorrect. The actual time to process out a single shot is 10 to 12 seconds. I was not paying attention to the fact that even when the camera's LCD is returned, you can't process out another capture until the write light is finished, so the camera takes up the full available buffer to process the files, (which I guess makes sense as it's really 4 images not 1). But I still would like to see this time improved a bit to more like my original noted 4 to 5 seconds.

Paul C

Paul2660

I think suggestions that the cost of SilkyPix reduces the attraction of the K1 are, with respect, absurd.

If you are considering buying a K1 because it undercuts the competition, that is a bad reason. Buy it because it is the best camera for your work, or it it is not the best camera for your work, buy a different camera.

It is best to treat pixel shift as a tool for studio / still life or equivalent uses, in the same way one might use a scanning back or a multi-shot (a better name for pixel sift) camera from Hasselblad (also works well in some landscape situations as Paul suggests). Hasselblad users pay thousands more for a multi-shot back and the advantages are obvious in its narrow operating window. They are similarly obvious with the K1. I have said before, and I will say again for benefit of anyone from Pentax who might be reading these threads, that an upgraded K1, possibly called a K1 Studio - which includes an adjustable pause between the 4 shots to allow studio strobes to recycle and fire - would complete the K1 feature set and make the K1 much more attractive to a wider range of users.

To revert to SilkyPix, I used to use a version of that software with the Kodak 14nx some years ago. Its a bit quirky but its good quality software. I might buy it because the Pentax software is not usable for serious work. And it's worth the money, given the Pentax K1, overall, is in my view the best DSLR currently made.
Hi Quentin.

My point is that on Silkypix, Pentax needs to do a better job combining the software/camera solution for the masses. You have 3 basic markets out there I feel. 1. Current Pentax owners, 2. other DSLR owners, 3. New buyers to either Pentax or full frame 35mm DSLR. The vast majority of these photographers have not ever heard of Silkypix and many refer to it is sillypix either by mistake or muse.

Currently the version of Silkypix that ships with the K1 IMO does Pentax no favors. The software is hard to use, not very forthcoming on even how to open a file since the browser window opens like a win 3.1 app and does not close when you select a image or series of image to open. It has very basic image controls, WB, Exposure etc. and to me is more limited than even the Canon raw software DPP. Where as the full version of Silkypix or studio pro version opens a huge array of possibilities for the user. Currently the full code is around $250.00, about the price of a full license of C1 or year of tsubsripbtion to LR. Silkypix (full code) has a lot of great features and gets the job done, especially on the pixel shift files, (however I have now seen that Iridient Developer has support for the pixel shift files).

Also note that the MAC version of either Studio Pro or Developer Pro Silkypix does not support the pixel shift files, where as the the windows versions do. I have opened 2 cases with Silkypix on this and they appear to be aware of it, but not too concerned, which surprised me, along with the fact that the problem even exists since the Pentax code works on MAC or WIN. (with Silkypix full code on MAC, the pixel shift files open briefly, but then turn red and can't be worked on).

I feel that since Pentax has a bit of a road to gain in users, and users knowledge of the power of pixel shift, they should consider improving their software by either improving the software they include with the camera or offering a coupon to purchase the full version of Silkypix. This is strictly a business decision, but sometimes you have to give a few dollars to make a lot of dollars.

There is no doubt to me that the results from pixel shift are "revolutionary", both in over resolution and noise. A bit of shock still, but I for one have seen the light. It's a good thing that with the K1 slight movement can be accommodated well, and if motion is more extreme, possible pixel shift bracketing works well at least for wind.

I still hope to see LR improve their processing (but don't expect to see anything from them), and in the distant future C1 may add support also, but for some reason I don't see that happening, which is a disappointment.

The is great tech, actual some of the best tech I have seen from any camera company in 10 years, (since the Canon 1ds MKI revolutionized digital photography with 11MP full frame). But as you can see on this site and even the Pentax dedicated site, or LuLa, the number of people using this technology is very limited in number. Most don't see the need for it and or are not willing to make the switch from Sony, Canon or Nikon. Sony has the ability to do it, as they have sensor stabilization and I am still surprised a firmware upgrade has not been added to the A7RII to allow this, as it would be a huge advantage to Sony. I don't see Nikon or Canon ever doing this as the cost in VR and IS lens sales would be too extreme.

Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

Mediumcool

Good name by the way.

I think buying for price as the main reason, to shave off a few dollars, rather than because of the feature set, lenses, whatever, is less than optimal, but of course I was assuming that one has the luxury of choice.

To Paul, pixel shift was the reason I bought the K1. But it turns out there is so much more to like about the K1. The Pentax software is poor. Silkypix is better but you have to adapt to its peculiarities. Fortunately I am on a PC. I use Silkypix if I have a pixel shift shot with movement to convert.

Bugleone

Interesting thread......

it was my post that mentioned the 'hidden' cost of appropriate software.

My understanding is that K1 is being portraid as offering extra value for money and being competetively priced. It seems to me that if one is obliged to buy a £300 software package to get the best out of it then that seriously flaws it's competetive profile, however clever it might be.......

...........If you buy a car you don't expect to find that it only has plastic wheels to enable you to get out of the showroom and have no option but to buy a proper set of tyres to do any real driving!.......who would accept that?

Paul2660

Interesting thread......

it was my post that mentioned the 'hidden' cost of appropriate software.

My understanding is that K1 is being portraid as offering extra value for money and being competetively priced. It seems to me that if one is obliged to buy a £300 software package to get the best out of it then that seriously flaws it's competetive profile, however clever it might be.......

...........If you buy a car you don't expect to find that it only has plastic wheels to enable you to get out of the showroom and have no option but to buy a proper set of tyres to do any real driving!.......who would accept that?
My last car was just like that!! :banghead: Just kidding.

I just feel it would help Pentax move forward by better enabling such a great feature as the included software is a bit lacking. You really can't see the difference IMO with jpgs posted online, but it was Quenton's post on LuLa that started me on the quest, and I have not looked back. As he pointed out, there are a lot of great features besides the Pixel shift resolution that make the K1 a very good camera. I did not really pay much attention to the pixel shift once I realize that the Pentax implementation was not the same as the Olympus where you actually get a much larger file, however there is interpolation going on there if I understand correctly. The Pentax files just stand out, both with color clarity, amazing noise characteristics, and details. I have also now taken several K1 files up to 360dpi 30 x 40 and have found the files to be very workable and forgiving.

By far the greatest issue to Pentax is lack of good primes, which hopefully they will address.

My only other concern, is who is guiding the ship at Pentax/Rioch, as if I was in charge, I would be getting this solution into the hands of as my landscape photographers as I could to help future purchases. It's also very possible that Pentax goes no further with the development do to slower than expected sales, which is in part due to their lack of marketing.

It will be most interesting to see what if anything Pentax shows at Kina in Sept.

Paul C

Bugleone

At lunchtime today I was looking at the current edition of 'Professional Photographer Magazine' and turned wit interest to their review of K1. The review is a couple of pages with front and back views of the camera and although not very long is essentially favourable. The point was made that this is not likely to ever be a pro piece of equipement due to lack of essential lens range and back up support etc.

The 'pixel shift' feature was considered to be at best "subtle" and hard to discern in the images, although the reviewer noted file sizes increasing from about 45mb to around 155mb.......

.....I'm beginning to think that this camera, while very interesting to me, is much too expensive (here in the UK anyway) despite competetive stance, and also has too many expensive gimmicks. Hopefully, pentax will be forced to 'simplicate and add lightness', in all senses of the phrase, when newer models are planned.

Charles Wood

At lunchtime today I was looking at the current edition of 'Professional Photographer Magazine' and turned wit interest to their review of K1. The review is a couple of pages with front and back views of the camera and although not very long is essentially favourable. The point was made that this is not likely to ever be a pro piece of equipement due to lack of essential lens range and back up support etc.
One has to define what category of pro shooter before dismissing the camera as not being a pro piece of equipment. If I were shooting NBA, NFL games or other fast action sports, it would not be my first choice. For street shooting I might well want something small, quiet and light. For landscapes and nature, I have absolutely no problem classifying it as pro. There are enough lenses, both legacy and current, to meet almost any landscape/nature photographer need.

As for the reviewer at Professional Photographer claiming the difference between a single frame and pixel shifted image being subtle, I suggest an appointment with an eye doctor. The differences are not subtle.

At about half the price of comparable Nikon and Canon bodies, why not buy two K1s? There is your backup. Any true professional photographer will have multiple bodies, often different for different needs. I use my K1 as a backup for my 645Z. For video and casual stills I use a Lumix GH4. Use the right tool for the job, it's as simple as that.

Quentin_Bargate

I guess one person's expensive gimmick is someone else's essential feature.

There is nothing subtle about pixel shift at all. I think many who test the K1 do so without fully understanding pixel shift or when to use it. That is partly Pentax fault in making such an appalling mess of the software and not getting support from Adobe and others properly to decode shifted files. It is also a pity its potential as a studio camera had been compromised due to the fact it cannot be used with studio strobes. Such a shame because the K1 could otherwise be easily used with high end food, still life and product photography where pixel shift takes the K1 from good to excellent. Maybe if Pentax read these forums, they will get the message...

Whatever, its a heck of a camera -tough too as mine survived unscathed from a spill from a rolling quad bike (mud just washed off both camera and quad!)

Paul2660

Pixel shift on the K1, IMO is very real. What is interesting is that Capture One, which doesn't really support the pixel shift, still does pulls more out of the pixel shifted images. Quite a bit of detail, not sure why and at first I thought it was just my eyes, but I did quite a bit of side by side and C1 vr 10 with the new sharpening tools, can somehow get more finer details out of a pixel shifted file.

I just wish the K1 was faster in the storing of the pixel shifted files, as my camera takes on average 12 sec from capture to when it's done writing and frees up the camera. May not sound like a lot but if you are shooting a pano it can be a big difference as the light can and will change in that time frame.

Still wish that Adobe would re-visit their terrible attempt on pixel shift but odds are it won't happen, but I still hope some day C1 will officially support it.

Paul Caldwell