The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hooking up my MacPro to a shared Epson R800

etrigan63

Hey all,
more fun from my journey back to being a Mac user. I have an Epson R800 shared on my network (it's hosted on a Windows Home Server which is Win2k3 based). The printer is visible via SMB and AppleTalk. I can add the remote queue just fine, but the Gutenprint driver that comes with Leopard fails to produce a usable image. What comes out is very, very washed out and the colors are all wrong. I have downloaded various drivers from Epson but none of them can see the printer. How the devil do I set this up? It's embarassing to have such an amazing computer for processing my photos but I can't print them out.

Or should I consider getting a networked printer like an HP B9180 or an Epson 3800?

etrigan63

Update:
Directly connecting the printer to the Mac via USB allows me to print using the Epson drivers, but when I share the printer my wife's PC (WinXP + Bonjour) can see the printer but any jobs sent to it flit off to bit-bucket heaven. I wonder if there is secret sauce I am not aware of.

etrigan63

Finally got this working. Short answer is download the newest GutenPrint drivers for Mac OS X Leopard and use them to print to the shared R800. The Epson drivers are USB only and haven't been updated in nearly a year.

If you want to hear the whole sordid affair go here.