The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom, Epson Printers and Snow Leopard

jonoslack

Hi there
I'm considering ditching Aperture in favour of Lightroom . . . . However, at the moment the only way I can print to my old Epson 4000 printer is by running lightroom in 32 bit mode (which makes it depressingly slow). . . . . . and I'm still running on Leopard (too much hassle to support the 4000).

However, my Epson 4000 really is nearly dead (poor thing). It's been coming up with Service messages for a couple of years now suggesting that it's dead. I've found that lifting it 1/2" off the ground and then dropping it has usually made it come back to life :ROTFL:

However, it really is now looking a bit terminal.

So - to my point -
Does (for instance) the 3800 run properly under Snow Leopard using Lightroom in 64 bit mode?

Robert Campbell

Hi there...
However, my Epson 4000 really is nearly dead (poor thing). It's been coming up with Service messages for a couple of years now suggesting that it's dead. I've found that lifting it 1/2" off the ground and then dropping it has usually made it come back to life :ROTFL:
Some rescuscitation technique. Do you give it mouth-to-mouth as well? :D

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hey Jono, immediately after reading your post about switching to LR, I received an email from Adobe offering a 15% discount on the purchase of LR for any friends I refer to Adobe who end up buying LR. If I get two friends to buy the software, I receive a $50 gift card for Amazon.

So OK, I'm willing to believe that you might have other friends (beside me, *sniff*) that already own LR and would refer you so that they might be eligible for the coupon and you for the discount. But just in case you don't, let me know and I'll send in your name.

jonoslack

Hey Jono, immediately after reading your post about switching to LR, I received an email from Adobe offering a 15% discount on the purchase of LR for any friends I refer to Adobe who end up buying LR. If I get two friends to buy the software, I receive a $50 gift card for Amazon.

So OK, I'm willing to believe that you might have other friends (beside me, *sniff*) that already own LR and would refer you so that they might be eligible for the coupon and you for the discount. But just in case you don't, let me know and I'll send in your name.
Hi There
I don't think it'll work for us in the UK . . . but I already have lightroom anyway.

Hi Jonathan

Since you are contemplating buying a 3800, be aware that Epson has announced the 3880 that should be shipping within the next few weeks. That being said, the current prices/rebates on the 3800 are as good as I've seen.

HTH
Paul

Robert Campbell

I'm very keen for you to get a 3800/3880 Jono, so you can tell me if it's worth it. I'm sure it will work will with your system. :)

woodyspedden

I know hoards of folks who own and use the 3800 (as I do as well) and all are universal in their praise.

Large cartridges make for much better ink use efficiency.

Colors are almost identical to my 7880. Difference is probably in the profiles.

Works well with most paper (sometimes have to use the rear sheet feed for very thick papers e.g. VFA)

No rational roll paper option. If you need the better price of rolls better to have a 7800 / 7880

Just a few of my personal observations

Woody

Robert Campbell

Use Lr as a posh viewer 'cos its updated more than Aperture; from Lr choose edit in [insert fav program] do whatever corrections, print from there? Too simple?

jonoslack

Thanks everyone.
So, everyone seems to recommend the 3800 (cheap right now).
BUT

Nobody can tell me whether it works with Lightroom 2 in 64 bit mode on Snow Leopard . . . . .. pretty please?

scho

Hi there
I'm considering ditching Aperture in favour of Lightroom . . . . However, at the moment the only way I can print to my old Epson 4000 printer is by running lightroom in 32 bit mode (which makes it depressingly slow). . . . . . and I'm still running on Leopard (too much hassle to support the 4000).

However, it really is now looking a bit terminal.

So - to my point -
Does (for instance) the 3800 run properly under Snow Leopard using Lightroom in 64 bit mode?
Hi Jono,

My old Epson 4000 died last year and I replaced it with a Canon iPF6100. Fantastic printer with none of the early Epson maintenance problems, no clogging, frugal ink use, and just beautiful prints. I've been doing a lot of prints recently on Lexjet WR Satin which is great for gallery wraps and also for making backlit prints. I make my own custom icc printing profiles and do all of my printing from Lightroom. Currently using LR2.5 (64 bit mode) with the new Canon iPF drivers for Snow Leopard. Works perfectly with no more of the color management glitches that plagued earlier versions. Seems as though Adobe, Apple, and Canon (Epson also?) finally got their collective act together and resolved the previous CM problems. I would hope that if Epson released new drivers for Snow Leopard that you would also have no printing problems with Lightroom and the Epson 3800.

Regards,
Carl

Diane B

I can't add anything about your questions but can only mention that I've had the 3800 since the month it came out. I've never had a clog to this point. I've had the 1280, 2200--and several other smaller photo printers. I could never say the same about them, though the 2200 did better than the 1280. I just love the 3800 output--esp. for my monos.

nostatic

Can't answer your question, but am interested in when/if you switch to LR as I'm pondering the same thing. I'm also pondering a new printer but 3800/3880 is out of my budget at the moment - likely looking more in the $500 or so range. Epson has rebates on the 2880 so I might go that way.

Also not running Snow Leopard yet, but a new laptop is en-route so I will be shortly...

Eoin

Well, well, I never thought I'd see the day when Jono would drop Aperture.

Jono my 3800 won't call up the printer setting on SL for me under PS3. I had to revert to my G5 with Leopard to get some work done this week.

I've just installed rosetta on my MBP and downloaded the driver Terry pointed to so when I get home I'll try to get the whole thing going under SL on the MBP.

I can't even seem to get 64bit working on my MBP.

Regards

jonoslack

This looks horrible
I think I'll simply give up photography . . or maybe I'll buy a PC:ROTFL:

What's clear is that:

1. running Lightroom with my current printer is rubbish (it'll only work in 32 bit mode, which is chronically slow)
2. getting a new printer and installing SL is fraught with potential grief (works for some, not for others)
3. getting a new printer without guaranteed SL support is madness
4. I don't want to have to run Rosetta to get a printer to work.

Currently I'm running My Epson 4000 across the network, and it was working (I'll just have to drop the printer from a bit higher to get it to work again).

Which means several things.

1. I won't upgrade to SL yet
2. I won't abandon Aperture for LR
3. I won't get a GF1 or a replacement EP1
4. I will sell my d-lux4

I have better things to do with my time!

Thanks everyone for chipping in and making it clear what to do!

If my printer is really dead, then I'll just give up on photography until the dust has settled properly.

SL is looking like Apple's competitor to Vista!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This looks horrible

SL is looking like Apple's competitor to Vista!
Nah. Not even in the same ballpark. Aside from the peskiness of having to download a driver for my mouse and one for the printer, it has been seamless and faultless.

But you could easily just stick with Leopard and run a 3800 from LR. Bet you wouldn't even see a difference. Whatever speed advantage the 64 bit might offer, if you collected the time saved in 64-bit over 6 months, would probably amount to the same amount of time it has taken to initiate, track, and respond to this thread.