The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best way to prepare black and white for web

lowep

I am trying to figure out the best way to prepare a good scan from a black and white negative for uploading on my website?

8-bit jpeg 72dpi grayscale. So far so good.

For some reason the test file I have uploaded here has a blue tint, even though it is a grayscale image. The image looks fine (ie grayscale, not blue tinted) when I open the file in Photoshop. Thought the problem was the calibration of my laptop monitor but found the same problem when I checked the uploaded test file on another computer. Even found the same problem when I started to look more closely at "black and white" images on other websites - though it seems that some avoid it.

I have tried to change the color profile, to upload with no color profile, to convert to sRGB and destaurate the image... and even to change the background color of the web page from white to another color so that the photo "looks" less blue.

But still looks blue... :confused:

Any advice?

lowep

Oddly enough when I posted the same image in a picasa slideshow with a black border here the blue tint was much less disturbing.

What would Ansel Adams say about this?

I notice here that his images also have a blue tint.

Perhaps being the smart guy he was he would just have said that he intended them to be blue?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I am not seeing a blue tint from either link. I can only guess that perhaps your browser is giving you a problem. You might try a different browser like Firefox or Safari (if you are MAC). Or perhaps it's time to recalibrate your monitor.

lowep

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply TR... as usual the problem is probably the operater. Maybe I should get a job as a pilot on the San Diego - Minnesota route... tried both Firefox and Explorer with no difference, so will follow up on your other suggestion and calibrate my laptop monitor