The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leopard and Epson and Lightroom

robertwright

What is the state of things regarding the Epson 3800, Lr and Leopard-does anyone have it working together?

I upgraded to Leopard once and could not print with the R1800. so I went back to tiger. double profiling that was noted as an official bug.

Recently I got a 3800 and will retire the R1800, but did not want to go through all that again until I knew Lr and Leopard played nice. Any comments?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have been printing to my 3800 via CS3 through Leopard since I got a new Mac in January... No problems whatsoever. Can't say for LR because I never print from it, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as from CS3...

robertwright

well that was the thing, it was different, somehow the profiles associated with the media types in the color sync utility were being applied over the custom profiles selected in Lr, bingo, double profiling. the Lr blog had the details,

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2007/12/printing_on_leopard_with_light.html

the 2200, 2400 and my 1800 were affected, but I did not hear about the 3800.

which driver are you using for the 3800 in Leopard, the beta driver or the 3-series?

robertwright

Lr 1.4.1 is supposed to address some of this.

I guess I will wait unless someone here is using Lr on Leopard and the 3800 can say for sure it works.

A

aero

Adobe pulled 1.4 and hasn't re-released it yet due to a problem where XML sidecar files were modified without user's knowledge. Not cool. They did indeed fix the Leopard/Epson driver problem with 1.4, but we'll have to wait for them to re-release before using :(

The issue with profiles in 1.3.x is that even though one chooses the printer profile in Lightroom, it was also applying the default profile on top of it. So, double profiling. The fix is to hard code the directory path to the .icc in the Color Sync profile application so it points directly to the correct profile. A real hack. Boo, hiss. If you have a bunch of profiles to use, you have a bunch of hacks to do.

Adobe, hurry! Adobe, Soft Proofing in Lightroom please! :)

Hope that helps a bit and was on point,
-D

robertwright

it was on point!

still wondering if there is anyone with explicit experience of the 3800 not working with Leo and Lr. I think the bugs were confined to the 2400, 2200, 1800 series and not the pro line drivers.

can you see I am chomping at the bit to upgrade and get it over with....