The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any word on a 4880 replacement?

bensonga

With the significant rebates that Epson offered recently on the 4880, I'm wondering if a new model might be right around the corner. Anyone heard word of such a thing? I like the 4880's robust paper handling, but I prefer the 3880's PK and PM cartridges mounted at the same time. Wondering if the next iteration of a 4880 might have this feature. I'd have to do some serious house cleaning and inventory reduction just to make room in my office for a 4880 sized printer, but if it had both PK and PM cartridges installed, this would be the perfect printer for me. With PK and PM installed in the same printer, I could get rid of my 2400 and 2200....but I'm getting tired of the single sheet feeding of heavier fine art papers, so the 3880 doesn't help me in that regard.

Anyone heard rumors or solid info on a 4880 replacement or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Gary

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Anyone heard rumors or solid info on a 4880 replacement or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

Gary
Gary,

I have spent considerable time asking just that question of everyone I can be it suppliers software RIP developers or representatives of large retail dealers and the consistent answer is "we don't think so..."

The reason given is that to move the 4880 to the x900 series of print heads would at the present time cost about the same retail as the 7900. Epson does not foresee a market for that overlap and probably does not want to divert sales from the 7900. I think they are overlooking all of us who cannot get a 7900 into the house but will pay additional for similar print quality in a 4xxx series printer.

The dealers point out that rebates seem to have been unrelated to upgrades in a temporal manner and really do generate a huge sales increase for current products as evident in the general backlog of orders for the 4880 at the present time.

Making a 48xx series printer upgrade to accommodate one extra black cartridge may not be worth Epson's investment as they are selling all the 4880s they can make with the rebate right now.

One solution to the ink swap is Image Print and their Phatte Black ink system...RIP is linearized for eight inks moving matte black into one of the light black positions so that no swap is needed and profiles are available for almost all papers to realize exceptional print quality in either matte or photo black situations. IP 8.0 delivers great quality and is very convenient with regards to paper management...some of the best profiles available. No length limitation with roll paper compared to Epson's drivers.

All of the above comes with the disclaimer that Epson is very closed about pre-announcing new products and could surprise everyone with a new printer at any time...most of them have been reassured that this will not be anytime soon.

Bob

bensonga

Thanks for the info Bob....doesn't sound promising.

For those of you with a 4800/4880....can you load a stack of 300-340 gsm paper in the paper tray, click print and run off a batch of 12 prints? Someone on another forum thought the paper tray was only for much lighter weight papers. If I still have to feed the paper thru one sheet at a time, I may not be improving life much over a 3880. Although, if it fed it more reliably than my 2400/2200....that alone would be a stress reliever!

Gary

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

Rumor I heard is January for a 4900, but nothing formal, just rumor/conjecture...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jack,

I hope you are right....I have passed for now on the 4xxx series and get a lot of single sheet feeding experience. But I will be all over a 4900 in a heartbeat.

Bob