The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3880 and Ilford gold fibre silk problem

J

jyrkialanen

Hi everyone and greetings from Finland! I'm new at this forum although have been enjoying your posts for a long time, thanks to all of you. Now I'm here for some help.

I have a Leica M9 and epson 3880 printer. For printing I use Lightroom. Yesterday I bought 50 sheets of Ilford A4 Gold fibre silk paper. When I printed to it using auto feeder or the rear manual feeder I got bad results. At all the for corners of the print there was an area of 1cm x 1cm with vertical print head scratches. I tried several sheets, and the scratches were allways there at the same places. In between the Ilford sheets I tried Photo Rag Baryta with no problems.

Then I decided to try the front manual feeder. The scratches were gone, but also part of the picture was missing. When the paper was at landscape orientation, the vertical borders were much too wide taking away parts of the photo. The horisontal borders remained at the right width. The parts, where there were scratches before, remained to be seen.

I just wonder what I'm doing wrong with the front feeder? I didn't change anything in Lightroom, only chose the right paper feeder in the epson driver. I would also be curious to know, is there a problem with my printer with those scratches or is it just something that can occur with some papers unless using the front feeder. I noticed cuite a bit curling with the Ilford paper compared to Photo ragt baryta.

I would be very grateful for any help with this. Thanks!

Best regards, Jyrki

Diane B

Jyrki,

I use this paper all the time with 3800 and use the normal feed. However, one fix usually is to increase the platen gap. That normally takes care of it and you don't have to use the front feeder.

This is a great site/FAQ for the 3800 and will be as useful for the 3800 I'm sure. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#bronzeetc
Ths particular entry may be helpful
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html#headstrike

I just noticed that you are printing from Lightroom--I should say that that's my print app of choice and haven't had any problems with this paper.

Diane

Last edited:
J

jyrkialanen

Diane. Many thanks for your help and the link. I'll try the wide setting for the platen gap for the golden fibre silk to see if it helps.

To Uwe -I was printing with borders.

I wouldn't mind to use the front feeder to avoid the problem, but I just don't understand, why the image wasn't printed as a whole. The vertical borders were so wide that part of to photo was missing-and I didn't change anything in the lightroom...

Best regards, Jyrki

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The vertical borders were so wide that part of to photo was missing-and I didn't change anything in the lightroom..

You likely did not use the proper page size setting from the printer menu.

J

jyrkialanen

Hello Uwe. I used the "A4 front feeder" setting, so that doesn't quite explain it, unless I have to change something else too from the printer menu.

Best regards, Jyrki