The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HP Z3200 or Epson 7880?

Z

zzyzx

In use is one really better than the other in ultimate image quality and the expected life of the prints on fine papers?

Every Epson I have had for years ends up having paper feed problems. A real pain in the backside to work with at times.

The accelerated aging testing says the HP inks matched to the right papers should last longer than those of the Epson offerings.

The HP B&W is supposed to be more neutral.

Any real reason to buy one over the other?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO only. If I compare the HP3200 to the 7880, I'd opt for the 3200. And in actuality, so did a bunch of other folks, and word on the street was this is THE reason why the 7880 line was relatively short-lived and replaced with the 7900, that came rather quickly along in in product-cycle time to replace it.

Now, comparing a 3200 to 7900 is a much tougher nut. FWIW, I just chose the 7900, but wouldn't argue with anybody that chose the 3200.

FWIW only,

charlesphoto

Just got a z3200 44" last month and so far pretty happy. Like any printer there's niggles to work out. But for the price it was a no brainer over the 9880 and purely a matter of choice over the 9900. Price is a consideration as well as size. The z3200 has a much slimmer profile and weight over the 900 series and was an easier fit into my basement workspace. No small matter when considering one of these beasts. Also the built in profiler and the no clog maintanence swung me (I'm not a daily or even weekly printer). Epson 900 better for sheet material I guess though haven't tried with the HP yet. In fact have only printed b&w so far and very happy with it.

A good place to buy the HP is daycad. They treated me right.

I certainly wouldn't pay full price for a 7880. With rebates etc a 7900 can actually be had for less.

Z

zzyzx

So what is the real difference in use between the latest Epson models and the Z3200?

Is the HP offering still showing a lot longer 'expected life' from the prints in accelerated aging testing?

Any real difference in fine detail rendering in the prints given comparable glossy surface papers?

I know HP has a next day on-site service policy and I find that attractive in my considering which I may go with. But, real world experience is welcome here on both of them.

dseelig

I have a z 3200 and had an epson 7600, the one thing that will keep me over on the hp camp in epsons drink ink hp's sip ink. The annoying thing about hp is single sheet feed is a pain. But on the whole being a pro photographer I need to save money where I can.