The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Pixma Pro 9500 und Snow Leopard

kanzlr

hi!

with my Epson R800 I get consistently way too dark prints, even after following all the guides and calibrating with color munki. It seems the Epson drivers simply don't work well with the new Apple printing path.

So I think about trying a Canon. A used 9500 Pro would be nice, but I noticed that the 9500 Pro printer drivers at the canon support website are way older than the 9500 Mark II drivers, so I wonder how well the older 9500 Pro works with Snow Leopard, especially how it copes with the different Gamma value (2.2 vs. 1.8) of SL.

Also, does it work well in Auto mode vs. Color Calibrated workflow, like I use?

thanks a lot
Bernhard

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Can't help you specifically with the Canon printers as I'm an Epson guy but I thought I'd add a few comments:

The latest OSX update appears to have corrected the last remaining color sync printing path issues under Snow Leopard and Adobe for Epson.

As a general rule, I think you still want to use a fully color-managed workflow vs any printer's "auto" mode.

A good RIP may be a worthwhile consideration that addresses both issues...

T

tokengirl

I am not experiencing any problems with the Canon Pixma 9500 Pro and Snow Leopard. My monitor is calibrated with a Color Munki.

RomanJohnston

hi!

with my Epson R800 I get consistently way too dark prints, even after following all the guides and calibrating with color munki. It seems the Epson drivers simply don't work well with the new Apple printing path.

So I think about trying a Canon. A used 9500 Pro would be nice, but I noticed that the 9500 Pro printer drivers at the canon support website are way older than the 9500 Mark II drivers, so I wonder how well the older 9500 Pro works with Snow Leopard, especially how it copes with the different Gamma value (2.2 vs. 1.8) of SL.

Also, does it work well in Auto mode vs. Color Calibrated workflow, like I use?

thanks a lot
Bernhard
Are you using photoshop to print from?

Sounds like you might be tryint to obey two diffrent color managment processes.

If you let photoshop handle colors, remember to turn off the color managment in the print driver.

If you let the printer handle the colors, remember to do the opposite and turn on printer managment in the print driver.

Also what rendering intent are you using?

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Roman

menos

I use a 2008 MBP with latest Snow Leopard build.
I run a Canon Pixma 9500 Pro (not MkII).

I only print BW directly out of Adobe Lightroom (v3).
I use a Spyder 3 with the much better software from BasiICColor (the software, that came with the spyder was unsatisfying at best).
I have calibrated my screen, to just be able, to show the most detail in blacks without clipping or artifacts.

At first setup of the Canon printer with Lightroom with direct printing from Lightroom (without color management by the printer driver), I got consistently 1 − 1 1/2 stop underexposed prints.
I didn't do much fuzz about it and just activated printer driver color management back again and tweak the contrast, brightess levels in the excellent printer menu, save them as presets and be very, very satisfied with the results.

There is a big science about getting everything down from monitor to print, involving too many variables, than I have fingers, papers being a big factor as well.
I started, to tweak settings for the 3 different papers, I use mainly and mostly do a small test print, before the real ones.

It would be clever, to have an option in the Lightroom print menu, to ALWAYS print a very small (3mm wide) brightness and hue scale FIRST on each print!
This I would see, first, being able, to stop printing before major ink and papers are wasted, while it can be still cut away from the print later.

To sum it up: I suppose, you might get the same issues with the Canon regarding your printing setup, as with the EPSON.
In any case, the Canon 9500 is a marvelous solution for home printing, even semi professional.
Only critic, I have is, that the tanks are very small volume and there is no tank solution (high volume) for BW only printing - my gray tanks are eaten the quickest.

I had the possibility, to buy a 2009 Canon A2 roll printer for a slightly higher price, as I got my 9500, when the shop made a sell out. I didn't consider it, as of the immense bulk. It might have been a more economic solution, if I think it over now (takes 13x19 as well) :-(