The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interpolation? What is going on?

edmund

So after many emails between myself and mpix, I am still getting green spots on the print (see girls dress below)...

They said it is likely due to interpolation. So we took down the sharpening to 0 on lightroom. We also reduced the DPI to 250.

Here is the last print I got from them and what it looks like on my screen.

Any thoughts on what is going on and what I could do to fix it?

The latest print looks a little better... but now I have lost all the sharpening...
Thank you!

edmund

Any ideas?

Has anyone seen this while printing split-tone photos?

Suggestions on how to prevent it?

Im thinking Ill just have to print it in b&w only ----- :(

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
No idea, sorry. Looks like two completely different output profiles though...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Very strange.
Perhaps you might want to try a pure B&W rendering using a grey scale image mode rather than rgb.
I have seen this sort of thing occasionally when the printer's gamut is larger than the screen and that there is really a subtle shade not visible on screen.
Check the rgb values over the green spots in the original to check for any color contamination.
-bob

edmund

Thank you Bob and Jack -

Bob - Will give it a try.

Jack - the image on left is a photo of the photo showing the green splotches -- the one on the right was a screen capture of the original.

Thanks for giving it a shot... Ive never encountered this and was totally baffled.

Do you think that lowering the Exposure in LR over the dress might just do the trick, as it might make those splotches darker - hopefully matching the rest of the photo then... :confused:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No, it has nothing to do with exposure, either there is some green in the dress that you don't see on screen that is showing up in print (thus my monochrome recommendation) , or theree is a serious problem with the printing process.
I seriously expect that there is no effect with exposure or sharpening since the area in question is a mid tome that is replicated elsewhere in the inage or close.
-bob

edmund

Thanks Bob -

Just had a change to play around with the image again.

So, I am in LR3 and the photo was already in B&W mode.

Do you mean take out the Split toning?

Also, another idea I had was to keep the split toning but then remove the "green" from the mix - could this fix the problem since there shouldnt be any "green" information left?