The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture2, HP B9180 & Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper

etrigan63

Hey gang,
just picked up some Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss paper in 13x19 to print on my HP B9180. The instructions that come with the paper cover all of the Adobe products but I can't find any instructions for Aperture2. I have successfully printed from Lightroom 2b1 (64-bit Mac) but had some trouble in Aperture2. Has anyone done this before and can you give me some pointers?

David, before you say anything: yes, I know you have fabulous printing facilities and that all your work is done by trained professionals. I am doing this as a learning experience, and the moment I am ready to print something to hang in a contest or a gallery, I will be hopping onto ROES faster than you can say Nethack.

etrigan63

For the price, the B9180 is a hard unit to beat. The closest competitor is the new Epson 2880 but that does not have built-in network support. I recommend that you get the extended warranty from HP for $75. It gets you overnight replacement of the unit should it start to give you troubles. Mine has the occasional "service stall" error between jobs (cleared up by canceling the stuck job on the printer) and I get messages that say that the rear door is open when, in fact, it is not.

The driver set for Mac is not as polished as the Windows driver set. The layout is confusing and in order to do things like setting a print profile require you to do multiple steps.

On the plus side, it does print gorgeous color when you get the settings right and, if you use HP Paper, the printer can auto-detect the paper loaded (based on optical scan marks on the back of the paper) and set the drivers up automatically.

I printed a 13x19 full bleed image in about 5 minutes. Very fast.