The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 2880 - anyone looked at the specs

Terry

Has anyone looked at the specs for the new 2880 printer? If you can deal with the size is the 3800 still a better deal - bigger ink tanks etc?

robmac

I looked at the specs as have been debating between the 2400 and 3800 (preferred).
The 2880s 11ml ink tanks vs. 13ml for the 2400 and 80ml for the 3800 killed any further consideration.

Once you factor out the cost of the initial in-box complete ink set, the price difference between the 2400 and 3800 for the hardware is < $200 and the per ml ink cost still heavily favors the 3800 vs. the 2400 and only more so vs. the 2880 (unless the 11ml ink cart prices are LOW, which would not be in Epson's interest). I also remember reading that with the added vivid magenta (?) cart in the 2880 your back to black swapping again.

Hdw
2400: $699 - $144 (ink set) = $555
3800: $1249 - $537 (ink set) = $712

Ink
2400: $1.23/ml (~$16 per 13ml)
3800: $0.75/ml (~$60 per 80ml)

I don't do a lot of printing, but I would need to order in ink carts and loath the idea of paying that much ($1.23) per ml for the same ink I can get in the 1 step larger machine (that prints 4" wider) for 39% less.

If retailers put a stake thru the heart of 2400 prices to get rid of them, I might consider it and later move to the 3800 once the 3880 comes out and use one for mat and one for glossy; but I doubt it.

The only folks the 2880 makes sense for is Epson as I don't think enough printer-buying amateurs do the ink vs. hardware costs math and end up paying thru the shorts (been there) for ink. Be it Epson, Canon or HP - it's still the old "razors and razor blades" pricing game.

Last edited:

Terry

Thanks,
I was planning on the 3800 but saw the 2880 come out. I am going to stick to the 3800 and on the day I buy, I'm sure the 3880 will be announced.

robmac

I hear you. I'm in same boat. I KNOW the moment the 3800 clears my Visa, the 3880 will come out and shave probably an ink set's worth of $$ off 3800 prices.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry,
I am still happy with the 3800 since the new printer is limited to 13 inch wide output.
It is interesting to note an increase in the horizontal dot pitch which MAY give better dithering if the drivers and firmware take advantage of it. The vivid magenta inks give an expanded gamut in the barbie pinks and some blues. It looks like a small cartridge printer since the inks look like they ride on the print carriage and there is no other space on the printer to house inks.
Although I can't find the specs on the ink cartridge capacity, they are priced around those of the 2400, so I assume that they are similar in capacity.
I paid for my 3800 in ink savings over the 2400 in less than six months.
It looks like a great printer for occasional and smallish output but still no competition for the 3800 unless you need the gamut. I have yet to miss the barbie pink.:ROTFL:
-bob

Terry

Thanks,
Plenty of gamut with the current 3800 for me. My comment about the 3880 was more sarcastic about a 3800 price drop the day I buy seeing as it is the last of the 800's.

I do like the larger prints (although I just spent a ton on framing!).

Sad that they still used the small and now smaller carts on the 2880.

Hi Terry

There was a good discussion of the 3880 vs the 2880 on getDPI that can be found here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12470

I finally chose the 3880 primarily due to ink costs, the hassle factor of constantly replacing the small 11ml 2880 cartridge and the volume of ink used when doing a round trip from one type of black ink to another to do a paper type switch.

The folks at Atlex.com currently have the 3880 on sale for about $800 (due to Epson $300 rebate). If you take advantage of the Epson rebate be sure to copy everything and get a signature for proof of delivery to Epson. HTH

Paul

greypilgrim

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just sprung for the 2880. With a $300 rebate and a $689 price at B&H, $389 net was too good to pass up.

I have been printing with Ilford Gallerie Gold, using their online profiles, and the results have been wonderful.

The advantages of the larger ink tanks on the 3880 was offset a bit for me by the fact that the 2880 can do roll paper and the 3880 cannot, and I like to shoot panos.

Anyhow, just thought I would share that at least this combo of paper and printer is very happy making indeed :). Given how precise the Ilford ICC profiles are, I am not even hurrying to borrow my friend's profiler to profile the printer with this paper.

Doug

A

AlRohrer

I got the same deal from B&H and promptly moved my Epson 2200 to backup status. All I've used are Ilford Smooth Pearl and Epson Premium Luster papers but I've been using it about a month now and am really happy with it.
Al Rohrer

bensonga

The current price after rebate makes the 2880 an real bargain. I convinced a friend of mine to retire his 1280 and buy one of these....he's VERY happy with the printer. If I didn't already have a 3880, I would have picked one up myself.

H

Hardcore

Also just picked up the 2880 here in canada with the $300 rebate. Blown away by the print quality using the epson luster paper.

Just have a few questions though if someone knows...

What is the cost to print with this printer? I saw a square footage cost somewhere but was wondering if anybody could link to any data.

Thanks.

I've just seen the specs of the "new" Epson 3000, probably a replacement of 2880, with much larger ink cartidges and automatic black ink shift.
Cheers,
Ario