The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Epson LF printers 9900 and 7900

P

peby

Just spent 1/2 of Sat and all day Sunday installing our 7900. If anyone else has networked their printer I'd be interested in to hear how it went for you.
It took several installs and basically ignoring the supplied instructions.

Once set up I printed a couple of test prints that I compared with our previous printer (7600) On the 7600 I was printing using Bill Atkinsons profiles, on the 7900 I used the supplied Epson profiles.

The results are so marginal that I'm must admit to having purchase remorse. The one area I am happy with though is there is no longer that "3D" affect in the paper white areas.

Paratom

Just spent 1/2 of Sat and all day Sunday installing our 7900. If anyone else has networked their printer I'd be interested in to hear how it went for you.
It took several installs and basically ignoring the supplied instructions.

Once set up I printed a couple of test prints that I compared with our previous printer (7600) On the 7600 I was printing using Bill Atkinsons profiles, on the 7900 I used the supplied Epson profiles.

The results are so marginal that I'm must admit to having purchase remorse. The one area I am happy with though is there is no longer that "3D" affect in the paper white areas.
Have you made further prints with the 7900? Do you still feel the print quality is not so far from the 7600? I ask because I own a 7600 and was thinking about upgrading to a 7900. Print speed is not critical for me.

P

peby

Have you made further prints with the 7900? Do you still feel the print quality is not so far from the 7600? I ask because I own a 7600 and was thinking about upgrading to a 7900. Print speed is not critical for me.
It will depend on what your output is. If you are printing mainly portraits (skin tones) then yes there is more of a notable difference. If it's landscape images then the difference is subtle.
Keep in mind, I was using Bill Atkinsons profiles with Epson paper on the 7600 and Epson profiles for the 7900. I cannot make comments about other paper/profiles etc.
As for speed of the 7900, yes it's faster with print output but I find the other functions (start up. etc.) to be slower. Especially the cleaning function. I could have printed a 20x24 on the 7600 in the time it took the 7900 to go through a cleaning cycle. Paul

JimGoshorn

FYI, Epson has been telling many people to turn off the auto nozzle check. The new firmware also stops the cleaning check when you turn the printer on so the startup is faster.

Jim