The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo mounting and plexiglass

viablex1

I have a museum showing coming up and would like to have a few choice prints mounted this way. Does anybody have any experience doing this? What firms are good? It looks outrageously expensive but It sounds like the presentation is out of the park.

PeterL

I've used Whitewall.com - the prints on Fuji Crystal Archive (glossy) under 2mm acrylic glass are just fantastic. The best I've seen. Prices are pretty good, compared to what a similar service (if it even exists) cost in the US, even including shipping.

Cheers, -Peter

usathyan

Well there is an option to give it to a professional framer, and then there is DIY. I have been doing it myself for a while now...In any case, when you say museum - do you mean gallery exhibition? there is a difference, because Museums usually do it themselves and have their own standards.

For gallery framing, if you have never done this before, the easiest is to use a "kit". Go to http://www.framedestination.com/ or http://www.americanframe.com/ - my 2 recommended places to get frames.

I get mine as parts from United Manufacturers.

R. Bowman

I've used American Frame for both frames and plexiglass. With the plexiglass you do have to be very careful about static electricity and dust. I use an Ilford Antistaticum cloth to wipe down the materials before final assembly.

viablex1

whitewall looks like it right up my alley but would like to find a good firm stateside.

thanks

matto

GMB

The Whitewall method (under plexiglass) is comparable to the diasec or diabond method http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diasec and used by, for example, Gursky. It was but is no longer patent protected although the term Diasec may only be used by authorized printers. I had a couple of my photos printed by a company in an authorized Diasec dealer in Brussels (I googled Diasec Brussels) and the result was stunning. It give a great depth to the photo. I also saw examples of professional photographers (such as Elge Esser) who had their photos, including a white border, mounted that was and then put a wooden frame around it--very classy.

Going to a local shop was a bit more expensive than whitewall but (1) no shipping and (2) I could check the prints before they were mounted. Downside is that it only works with lamda prints but not with inkject prints.

Mitchell

I have had inkjet (Epson 3800 with Glossy Epson Paper) and cibachrome prints face mounted to plexiglass by Zero Station in Portland Maine. They look great.

Does anyone know about their archival properties?

Best,

Mitchell