The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

what are people using to make their web pages?

cam

i'm being pushed by several people to put my photos on a web site of their own as Flickr can be a bit off-putting for someone just wanting to view the pictures. what is the best route to go down here? what software are people using? i've done many web pages before, but never with images... i'm on a mac, btw.

thank you in advance.

cam

thank you!

and another question -- do people watermark their stuff? is that vain? or is it just safe? how high res do you go (what size)?

(i'm kind of a flash whiz where you can embed everything, but after seeing all the headaches people have with Sean's site i'm kind of loathe to use it.)

Last edited:

Lisa

I'm with Bob on this one. I got an "XTML for Idiotic Beginners" sort of book, and set out to create my own simple web site with it (click on the link at the bottom of my post if you want to see what I came up with). Pretty easy as long as you don't want to do anything too fancy, just presenting photos and commentary in a clear way that doesn't detract from the content, and you get the pride of knowing that you created it yourself from scratch.

Then again, I still do my income taxes with a pencil and calculator, and think linux is the best computer operating system. It may or may not be to your liking...

Lisa

Terry

Cam,
You are forbidden from letting Kevin read this thread!!!
iWeb would be on every mac sitting on the pile in Paris!

This is horribly out of date but check out.....
banetbeads.com

There is also .mac web gallery but I haven't used it yet.

cam

thank you, guys and gals (wonderful sites, Lisa and Terry!). all food for thought.

(Terry, Kevin knows my design background and won't take offense if i don't use iWeb. i'll give it a shot, but i'm not sure it will be flexible enough for me.)

the more i look, the more i think it actually might be time to use some of my Flash skills for navigation and design, with good old-fashioned html. i'm just going to have to treat myself as if i was a client (i just want something clean and elegant). sigh.

it's not that i can't do it, simply that i'd rather be taking photographs...

Stuart Richardson

I bought dreamweaver at an educational discount when I was in grad school, and I just learned through trial and error. I am sure someone who knew what they were doing could create an amazing site, but I find that mine does pretty well. Its strength is its simplicity. It can be a pain to update since I created it with tables...I don't know any of tricks, so I literally make and place every thumbnail where it should be and create a new page from scratch for every photo. But doing so allows a lot of room for search engines to find the pages, descriptive image titles and so on.

The nice thing about dreamweaver is that it gives you three modes -- design, code and hybrid. You can easily switch back and forth so that you can see the html, as well as just work in design mode. I have no web-design background, so I pretty much only work in design mode, but it is also nice to know that if I ever got off my butt and learned some web-design, dreamweaver can do essentially anything a photographer could want in a website (a non-flash one anyway).

simonclivehughes

Cam,

I'm using iWeb and a 3rd party template which I then customized. iWeb is dead simple yet gives excellent results. Obviously, however, you have to have a Mac to use it!

Ciao,