The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9900 versus Epson 9890

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it, the HDR ink set is just wonderful.
It looks like it is a 7900 modified to take the K3 inks which is not bad, but I prefer the gamut I am getting out of the HDR inks.
-bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
+1

I've heard people CLAIM that the x890 ink has less metamerism, but I've never seen proof of it. When the 7880 first came out (same inkset as 9890), I noted what appeared to be more bronzing on the 7880 than my 7800 had; by contrast my 7900 has none that I notice. If my 7900 failed today, I would replace it immediately with another.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I doubt it, the HDR ink set is just wonderful.
It looks like it is a 7900 modified to take the K3 inks which is not bad, but I prefer the gamut I am getting out of the HDR inks.
-bob
Really not modified to take the K3 inks, since the 7900 printer is also K3 inks. The main modification is removing 2 channels from the head, which lowers the cost to build dramatically. Other than Orange and Green, the two printers take the exact same ink cartridges - same part numbers.

+1

I've heard people CLAIM that the x890 ink has less metamerism, but I've never seen proof of it. When the 7880 first came out (same inkset as 9890), I noted what appeared to be more bronzing on the 7880 than my 7800 had; by contrast my 7900 has none that I notice. If my 7900 failed today, I would replace it immediately with another.

I've seen that claim as well, but find it very hard to believe. I'm running a 7900 next to an 11880 (which is the same inkset as the 9890) and there is virtually no difference in metamerism or GD. I ran a couple of tests just today because of the thread over in LuLa and had several in the shop compare .. no one can see any difference. They use the same ink except for a little orange and green on some prints. Just can't see how that would exacerbate metamerism.

The K3 inkset is still very good, so the new printers just allowed Epson to consolidate to a single chassis design instead of 2, as well as consolidate ink cartridge production. The same inks now fit the 7890, 9890, 4900, and 9900 printers. So a lower priced printer with all the mechanical advantages of the 79/9900 series (paper loading and feed, much faster printing speed). Important for high production graphics shops (which is by far Epson's largest market for these printers).

As to which is better .. they are both very good. I think the extended gamut does help on some images, but prints from the 9890 will still be outstanding and many times compared side by side with the 9900 will be virtually identical.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The same inks now fit the 7890, 9890, 4900, and 9900 printers.
Don't seem to be able to edit my own posts, and needed to correct this typo. That should have read 7900 and not 4900 ... the 4900 cartridges contain the same inks as the 79/9900 but are physically different than the 4880 as well as the larger x900 printers, so they are unique to that printer.

E

eazyrider

Really not modified to take the K3 inks, since the 7900 printer is also K3 inks. The main modification is removing 2 channels from the head, which lowers the cost to build dramatically. Other than Orange and Green, the two printers take the exact same ink cartridges - same part numbers.

Was wondering along similar lines. Does anyone know if I can use a model T5967 Ultrachrome K3 light black ink, in a brand new 9900 with HDR badged ink cartridges?? I accidently bought an Ultrachrome K3 350ml light black over the net and was wondering if it would be ok to run through my machine???? I consulted the Epson site to find the model for my machine and it says T5967 is the model number for light black ink for my 9900. Then I receive a K3 badged ink. Strange that the model numbers are the same??????

All the best.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Don't know if you found your answer, but Epson T596700 works fine ... K3 ink is K3 ink. Even if an ink is labeled "HDR", that moniker really only applies to orange and green, all other inks are the same between the 7890/7900 and 9890 and 9900.

archivue

a friend of mine is in the process to buy a 44" printer… to print photographs (BW & color)

Epson still have the 9890 and the 9900… the 9890 is 1000 euros cheaper.

For a photographer, is there a good reason to go with the 9900 ?

kdphotography

Hardware-wise, the 9890 and 9900 are identical except that the 9890 lacks the Orange and Green inks. Otherwise, both use the same Epson HDR inksets.

Maintenance on both are the same (I have both). Both work like a charm. Key is to keep humidity constant at 40-60%. Keep the printer area clean and clear (Vacuum print deck and around). Clean/inspect wiper and capping assembly every six months or as needed. Replace wiper every year. Regular use helps, though my 9890 (converted to K7 B&W) has gone weeks at a time without a hiccup.

Gamut is larger with 9900. Unlike some photographers, I do see my Orange and Green inks being used---not as often as others, but they are replaced regularly. Weakpoint for Epson is yellow longevity (though lasts still beyond our lifespan). Orange and Green allows less use of Yellow, and so the argument goes that prints made with 9900 are more "archival"---whatever that means. Real world use probably means you won't see an actual difference in hand.

Both printers are large, weigh alot, and Epson expects you to easily install the 2,000 pound printer (okay, so it just feels that heavy when you are older) by lifting it and setting it down exactly on two miniscule bolts protruding up from the printer stand. Minimum two big guys to lift the printer while a third centers the stand and guides the printer down onto the bolt. Epson recommends four people, but we have excellent worker's compensation laws here for injuries incurred on the job...:ROTFL:

I'm glad I went with the 9900, and I think that extra reach of color gamut helps with art reproduction work that I do. But as a photographer, I also like to think that Orange and Green give a bit of an edge too, albeit small. I figure if I'm going through the work of maintaining the beast, might as well enjoy all that Epson has to offer. If you find you don't use Orange and Green often, you can mix and match and use smaller cartridges in those slots.

ken

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Gamut is larger with 9900. Unlike some photographers, I do see my Orange and Green inks being used---not as often as others, but they are replaced regularly. Weakpoint for Epson is yellow longevity (though lasts still beyond our lifespan). Orange and Green allows less use of Yellow, and so the argument goes that prints made with 9900 are more "archival"---whatever that means. Real world use probably means you won't see an actual difference in hand.

ken
I see my 9900 using orange and green as well, and I’m of the opinion the bigger gamut definitely helps some of the time. But I also believe most will be more than completely happy with the gamut/prints from the standard printer inksets.

I’m not completely sold on the idea that that this might enhance longevity, because I’m guessing the same “dye” they used to make the yellow ink was used when formulating the orange ink and maybe even the green ink- they both may have a substantial amount of that yellow dye in it .... I don’t think anyone has tested it. Wilhelm (for what its’ worth) rate 11880 prints (which would be the same inks as 78/9890) and 7900 prints pretty much identical in longevity testing.

The big question is when will the P600 inkset make it into the large format printers, because it does have a much better yellow dye, the entire concept of how the dyes are formulated and lay down on the paper is intriguing and should enhance longevity as well, and offers visibly improved dmax/black performance (from what I’ve heard). I can’t imagine new large format printers aren’t coming next year sometime.