The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paper profiles

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I just received my first batch of Harman Gloss FB Ai and as I always do, started making a profile using the iOne.
Usually, I use the large one page target, what they call the iOne RGB 1.5, but this time I tried the iOne Easy RGB 1.2 three strip target.

Does anyone else have experience using this simplified target?thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just received my first batch of Harman Gloss FB Ai and as I always do, started making a profile using the iOne.
Usually, I use the large one page target, what they call the iOne RGB 1.5, but this time I tried the iOne Easy RGB 1.2 three strip target.

Does anyone else have experience using this simplified target?thanks
-bob
Hi Bob!

I have always used the large, two target set with my i1 and have gotten great results --- so good, I'm reluctant to bother with the simple target. It really only takes a few extra minutes to read the larger target and IMO is probably worth it.

PS: What printer do you have?

woodyspedden

Hi Bob!

I have always used the large, two target set with my i1 and have gotten great results --- so good, I'm reluctant to bother with the simple target. It really only takes a few extra minutes to read the larger target and IMO is probably worth it.

PS: What printer do you have?
I also use the large targets and have had great success. By the way Bob, before I made my own targets I used the generic ones from the Harman site and they worked great on both my 2400 and 7800. Might want to give them a look

Woody Spedden

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have an R2400 at the moment and I am eyeing either a 4880 or 3800
I imagine I will wait a bit and hope that a 380 comes out.
Well I I have been using the large one sheet target. I tried the three row simple target and it is terrible IMO.
In celebration of my new batch of paper i have profile with the large two sheet target and I am pretty happy with the results.

I guess that since I can make my own profiles, I will (maybe a yankee thing)
thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Probably best ;) I have a great 3800 profile for the Harmon I made with the two page target. If you do end up getting a 3800, I'm happy to walk you through my process. (It's that profile I used to print all the images, both B&W and Color, I showed at the workshop.)

P

PaulMayeux

At the risk of sounding stupid; how do you make profiles of your paper? I have typically downloaded the profile. Is there an advantage to making your own versus downloading? I have EyeOne that I use to calibrate my monitor, can it also be used for making a paper profile? (guess I better get the instructions back out)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul:

Not stupid at all! The basic colorimeter heads that are used to calibrate monitors generally can't be used to make a paper profile, as it's designed to read tranmitted light only. Heads for paper profiling have their own calibrated light source so they can read the reflective colors off the paper. THis seond type of colorimeter can also be used to calibrate a monitor however. So the higher end units can do both, but the bigger key is they need paper profiling software.

The main advantage of building your own profiles is you can make a near perfect profile specifically matched to your individual printer --- like buying a custom profile.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
After reading this, I think I will be at your workshop in Carmel, Jack! Jeez...am I a beginner!!

R