The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultra large printing...

P. Chong

I have an enquiry from a mall to buy a print of one of my stitched landscapes. The size they wanted is 9 ft high by 75 ft long...I have never done anything this big, but I figured if reduce the resolution to 100dpi, and uprezz by about 2.5X linear dimensions, I should be able to deliver this. The image is natively at 300dpi, 18 inches by 115 inches. is my math correct?

My question is...what do you guys think is the best way to print this? I am not aware of any printer which can do this in one piece, or is there? Any recommendations to who can do this print and how I should deliver the image to the printer?

kdphotography

Are you supposed to simply deliver the file to the client---or provide the printed image itself? Outside of the technical aspects, you'll probably want to search out "grand format printing" and the companies that provide those services.

P. Chong

thanks Ken...googled grand format printing...got some leads to followup.

Thanks Jan...good advice.

Have shot out emails to enquire with Duggal, XL Graphics and a few others who do such huge printing on the technical aspects and a request for quote. Thanks.

David Schneider

I did an 8 foot by 6 foot family photo for a client and it was not that easy to get it done. And then you need to figure out the shipping and hanging it.

I was lucky in that I found a place that was only about 3 1/2 hours away that did the printing. They also handled the delivery and hung the piece in my clients house for me for just $600. I had done a 6 foot by 4 foot for this same client and the cost to ship it from a different lab was much more than I expected. I was charged $200 just for them to build a crate to ship it in.

You might also have limited choices of print surfaces too. I wanted a canvas but settled for something else. Not a problem since I had Painter done to the image and it's way up in the air on a wall with 3 inch gallery wrap.

I would also suggest you get a sample of a few sections of the final piece printed actual size on 8x10 on surface of choice so you have an idea if colors and everything is meeting your expectations.

R

ralleydesew

You could also have a limited choice of printing surfaces too. I wanted a painting, but settled for something else. No problem since I had Painter made in the image and its path through the air on a wall of 3-inch duct.

Don Libby

WOW! Just thinking about a printer that can print 6' wide :eek:

That would make my 9800 look more like a 4000 sitting next to it.

J

jessieshelled

Large format printing and PVC banners are amongst the most common tools in modern commercial advertising. PVC banners are a cost effective and versatile product promotion procedures and can add a dynamic touch to any business before the courts trade show exhibition, display or public service advertising campaign.