The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any comments on Red River paper?

etrigan63

HP doesn't have Advanced Photo Paper in 8x10 yet, and I read on the Yahoo B9180 forum that Red River Arctic Polar Luster 66# paper works extremely well with the B9180. Has anyone worked with this paper? HP Premium/Premium Plus papers are unusable on the B9180 as they are meant for dye-based printers and swell up with the pigment inks (not a pretty sight). Can anyone recommend the best place to order some (besides the Red River site)?

etrigan63

Well I went ahead a ordered some Arctic Polar Gloss in 8x10. I will let you know how well it compares to the HP Advanced Paper (which doesn't have 8x10 yet).

Dale Allyn

Carlos, I've not used this paper, but have used several others from Red River. I use some of their papers for test runs or certain projects that don't warrant the use of some of the more expensive options. (I love Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Fine Art Pearl, but use RR Polar Satin and Ultra Pro Satin at times, as well as Polar Matte for tests of matte images.)

The Red River customer service is great about answering questions related to specific papers and printer combos. Drew Hendrix is the one who usually replies (or you can e-mail him directly) and he is quite knowledgeable and helpful. dhendrix-at-redriverpaper-dot-com

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier to suggest contacting Drew. They have a sample pack which is helpful too.

etrigan63

Thanks Dale. I contacted Drew and he was very helpful. He sent me a custom ICC profile for the RR Arctic Polar and it works spectacularly well. I am very pleased with the color rendition.