The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

epson 4880, imageprint 7 and Harmon FB gloss

jlm

Workshop Member
i just tried out this combo, using a Colorbyte supplied profile for that paper for daylight; it was way off (too blue). I have had pretty good results using Innova F gloss and Colorbyte profiles, but wanted to change papers.

anyone have this experience?

in the meantime, I turned off color management in Imageprint, printed some InkjetArt targets and am sending those off for a custom profile

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been trying to tune up this arrangement. my prints are mostly sq format, 17 x 17, so i an trying 17" wide roll paper instead of cut sheets.
so far:
paper curl on the leading edge was giving me a smear aboout 3/4' down from the top, i adjusted the paper thickness on the printer to #1 and that has helped.
the curl also makes the outputting edge of the paper hang up occasionally on the output tray. lifting the paper as it is coming out. this has already scratched a print.

the cut function on the printer is dicey...at first it cut all the way through, but now it is leaving the first 1" or so incompletely cut. also the position of the cut line is tricky to set so you don't end up with too much waste (i'd be happy with 3/4" top and bottom.) if you just hit the cut button after the paper is fed out, it wastes about 5" of paper, so you have to manually feed the paper back in tot he cut line and then cut it off, that makes you guess a bit.

had to clean the nozzles twice and do an alignment to get a good print, but now they look great

any comments?

i have considered buying the roll paper and then cutting it to 17 x 17 squares and sheet feeding it

thkx

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John, curl issue is THE reason I use the Harman sheets. Yes, more expensive when you print a 17x17 on a 17x25 sheet, but sooooo much more convenient to handle and mount and no wasted prints from smears or scratches :)

Other tip is I always go the Epson print utility and print the manual nozzle check before a print run. Uses almost no ink and lets you know if you have a clog.

Cheers,

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks Jack, as usual.

i was trying to avoid all that waste; maybe I will try cutting sheets out of the roll and flattening them, sort of like the old days, except flattening before printing. the price differential is almost a factor of two

charlesphoto

Other tip is I always go the Epson print utility and print the manual nozzle check before a print run. Uses almost no ink and lets you know if you have a clog.

Cheers,
I do the same. And when i don't almost never fails that I spend wasted time scratching my head trying to figure out where that color shift came from (I use IP 6.1 on a 4800).

John, cutting down roll paper to try and sheet feed manually will cause you to pull your hair out I'm sure. Trying to feed large sheets is tough enough when the paper is flat and a total pain in the ass when it's curled. The best bet is to set up a custom paper size in IP in balance with how much extra it feeds.

I've seen the D-Roller in action and it really does work. Bloody expensive though.

jlm

Workshop Member
17"x50' roll @ $145 gives 33 sq prints at $4.30
25 sheets of 17x25 is #165, or $6.50 a sheet, plus you get those interesting 17 x 8 scraps, which would make an 8 x 10 and a 8 x9...hmm! now that is what Imageprint can deal with

woodyspedden

D Roller is basically a weighted plastic roller and a mylar sheet combined arranged so it is easy to reverse roll a large picture (i.e. against the direction of normal curl) and take out the curl. With the modern papers this usually requires only one roll and about 20 seconds total.

Woody