The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Epson 4900 vs as new epson 4880 @50%less

archivue

hi,

i need to buy a new printer for books, small prints...
i wan't a pro 4xxx model
i'm printing only in matt
i will probably need to print BW this year, probably on a baryt paper (matt ink or glossy ink for it ? )

i have the opportunity to buy a as new 4880 for half the price of the new 4900

considering my use, shall i go for it ?

thanks

T

tetsrfun

I have a 4880 and am very happy with it. IMO, the big negative is the ink switching. It involves temp replacement of some ink carts and I have seen an estimate that the cost of wasted ink is about $70. A minor problem is head clogs. Unlike my 3800, which could sit for months and not clog, the 4880 will clog nearly 100% if it is not used routinely. This hasn't been a real problem since running one or two "test" prints has always clear the head and I have never had to do an ink wasting power clean.

As far a cost/benefit, that is obviously a personal decision. I paid ~$900 for mine a year or so ago when Epson had overlapping rebates. Well worth the $900.

Steve

archivue

I paid ~$900 for mine a year or so ago when Epson had overlapping rebates.

here in france, the prices aren't the same... i wonder why ?

best price at the moment, and no rebate :

4900 = 2250 euros excluding VAT
4880 = 1850 euros excluding VAT

T

tetsrfun

I paid ~$900 for mine a year or so ago when Epson had overlapping rebates.

here in france, the prices aren't the same... i wonder why ?

best price at the moment, and no rebate :

4900 = 2250 euros excluding VAT
4880 = 1850 euros excluding VAT
I just checked on-line price, so no tax for most people...Epson has $500 USD rebate until March so a 4990 is $1995 and 4880 is $1099.

Steve

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
maybe it's time to consider canon printer...
Exactly what I'll do. Unfortunately, the ink-cost per print of a Canon 9500 is 150% more than for the Epson 4900, so in my case, the much cheaper Canon is only viable with relatively low volume. For books, and here I'm probably in a similar situation to the OP, investing in the Epson will make sense surprisingly fast, even at the price I will have to pay. I will probably buy a dye based Canon 9000 as an initial solution. Cheaper to buy as well as to run than the 9500.

J

John-shadesofpaper.com

If anyone wants a printer we ship world wide and can offer great prices on both printer models just shoot me an email at [email protected]

dseelig

Canon is twice the price for ink, hard to believe as when epson printers just sit they drain ink. Does the Canon drain ink while sitting? I have an hp z 3100 and it is so cheap on ink. I do have an epson desktop a 3880 and it seems to drain ink abit as well.

Vtkind

I purchased the 4900. For 2495. But I had the golden ticket plus the 500 dollars rebate. So I received 1000 dollars back. I use Jon Cone inks, continuous ink feed. So I buy volume inks. All his colors match Epsons except the green and they are working on it. Jon also helped/work with Epson too. Inkjet mall in Topsham Vermont. epson inks = .52/ml......Jon's .13/ml. I have no issues either. One bonus with the 4900 is that you don't have to switch the blacks.....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Even with all the warts in the printers, which aren't that many, I have to say I simply *LOVE* the color and saturation available from the latest x900 Epson inks. If I had the room, I would sell my 7900 and buy both a 4900 and a 9900. Seriously, I like the output that much.

woodyspedden

Even with all the warts in the printers, which aren't that many, I have to say I simply *LOVE* the color and saturation available from the latest x900 Epson inks. If I had the room, I would sell my 7900 and buy both a 4900 and a 9900. Seriously, I like the output that much.
Darn it Jack.

Every time you post something like this the moths start flying out of my wallet. I am still using my 3800 and 7800 and, for the most part, find I can get very very good results. No doubt the addition of vivid magenta was an improvement but not so much as to make me fork over another $4k to replace both printers. Now, with the addition of both green and orange inks I would expect the overall gamut to be much improved.

So my issue is whether to replace both printers immediately or to get a new 4900 and work with that until I am convinced about the differences and their worth to me. If it is really great, (oh oh!) plunk down the big bucks for a 7900 (my little studio does not allow for 44" printers).

Any details you can share about how you find the differences would be welcome my friend.

Woody