The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

best RIP software

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Been using ImagePrint from Colorbyte for 6 years...has evolved from a great RIP to very mature one with layout properties, Print Through Application ability and wonderful easy to navigate browser functions.

Have not used any others but have upgraded two printer sizes over the years and would not go back to printing without it.

I have the ability (software and hardware from Gretag MacBeth - EyeOne) to do my own profiles but truly do not take the time as the profiles with IP are so good.

Highly recommended.

Bob

docmoore

That is correct.

You should be able to download a trial version which imprints demo over the face of your prints but you can get a good idea of the workflow and output. Menu selection at the top of the page for Trial Version. Read it carefully as you need to enable demo behavior :"Important: After installation, in order to enable printing in demo mode make sure to choose that option in the DEMO BEHAVIOR section (under the QUEUE menu) of Spoolface, the ImagePrint spooler interface. You may wish to refer to the Quick Start guide you printed earlier for additional instructions."

Caution: it will make you want to buy it.

Bob

docmoore

I shall not take a demo, I shall take it because I always get my prints too dark , I just wait to see other opinions
IP 8 works in a calibrated environment with monitor and printer profiled...so you monitor needs to be calibrated ( weekly/monthly ) and that applied when using the RIP.

Bob

Godfrey

I have an Eizo a Monoca optix device for calibration , all is correct , but the prints are too dark
The problem in this case is almost always an inappropriate selection of calibration targets for the ambient room illumination. If the display is too bright relative to the room, your eyes are fooled and cannot make adjustments that will transfer with high fidelity to paper. The solution is to either reduce display brightness to a lower level (I wouldn't go below about 90 cdm^2) or raise ambient illumination in the editing environment.

I've seen this problem over and over again with students and colleagues. No RIP or calibration tool alone solves the problem ... the editing environment is critical. The room lighting should be bright enough to easily read a newspaper without additional illumination if the display is set to a 110 cdm^2 luminance target.

the display target is on 100 and 5700 K and I can read a text
all is calibrated
MAC PRO --> Eizo CG243W --> Monaco Optix --> and I have the good ICC for Canson infinity Baryta

but I can never get what I see on the screen, it is really too dark

do you think a RIP is not necessary ?

docmoore

Godfrey has a very cogent point.

RIP does a lot more, but may not address this issue as well.

Bob

Godfrey

the display target is on 100 and 5700 K and I can read a text
all is calibrated
MAC PRO --> Eizo CG243W --> Monaco Optix --> and I have the good ICC for Canson infinity Baryta

but I can never get what I see on the screen, it is really too dark

do you think a RIP is not necessary ?
Raise the room illumination level. In what environment do you adjust your images? If Lightroom or Aperture, set the surround on screen that you are editing against to white. Look at the image with a white border on screen that is at least two inches all around it. Re-adjust the image until it looks right, then try printing.

The surround against which you adjust an image is very important. Here's an example:

http://www.gdgphoto.com/surround/

Notice how the white surround makes the image look flatter and duller than the black surround. A white surround lets you see a little better what an image will look like printed to paper rather than on a monitor. If you then get the right balance of ambient and display luminance set up, you should get a high fidelity match between display and print.

I have used RIPs. I find them unnecessary since I only print on one or two papers and the provided paper profiles for my papers do a perfect job printing from Photoshop, Lightroom or even Pages to the Epson R2400: what I see on screen is what I get out of the printer.

thanks Godfrey but I know that a black or a white background change all
the prints are just too dark, it is not an illusion, it is concrete

jlm

Workshop Member
i have been using IP with my 4880 for several years and through several IP upgrades. Not only do i get good prints, but is is very handy for sizing and arranging prints, multiple prints on a page, etc.

the biggest problem I have with them is that they base price on the printer size, and for a large printer (24" or 44") it is quite expensive. I have no idea why the software price should relate to printer size; maybe some guru can explain?

Godfrey

thanks Godfrey but I know that a black or a white background change all
the prints are just too dark, it is not an illusion, it is concrete
The difference in how they look when you adjust them against different backgrounds is not an illusion, it is concrete too.

But if you think you have the configuration knocked, just change the brightness adjustment on a photo that you have adjusted to be perfect to your eye and test-print it until it comes out perfectly. Then you know how much you have to change what your eye says is perfect to get what the printer agrees is perfect.

No automated RIP or printing process is going to solve that difference.