The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is Flickr enough

gooomz

if i just wanted an easy to find place to showcase my work to friends, family, and other photographers/artists, does flickr do the job?

the only difference for me is would be nice to have a dedicated .com web address and it is pretty cool that on smugmug friends and family/others can order prints right off smugmug's site (although i dont think i would sell too many prints)

do one even need smugmug/zenfolio if they use flickr to showcase photos?

mathomas

I use flickr for most of my photo sharing. It's more of a community thing, where people can share ideas and commentary about photos, follow contacts, etc. It doesn't allow any real customization of presentation, but does the community stuff perfectly, IMO.

In addition, I also have a zenfolio account. I only upload my favorite stuff to zenfolio, things I might hope/expect someone to print. It's my half-assed, poorly-marketed attempt to have a photographer's gallery without writing the code myself. Zenfolio is very customizable, with a good shopping cart and services including matting/framing, and the ability to set your profit margin on purchases. On the other hand it is not a community site.

One can print from flickr. Not sure what the requirements are (that is, would your mom or friend need an account to print one of your photos). However, I believe it probably fits the bill as an "easy to find place to showcase work".

Please have a look at the links to my "sites" in my signature. That should give you a feel as to how the sites differ in purpose.

A

a_summarita

if i just wanted an easy to find place to showcase my work to friends, family, and other photographers/artists, does flickr do the job?

the only difference for me is would be nice to have a dedicated .com web address and it is pretty cool that on smugmug friends and family/others can order prints right off smugmug's site (although i dont think i would sell too many prints)

do one even need smugmug/zenfolio if they use flickr to showcase photos?
Flickr can certainly do all of those above and with its extensive API, you can even use the data to build your own portfolio/photo website. So if you are not happy with flickr as a service, use it as a storage place or its amazing social feature.

For example this is my flickr: flickr.com/alvinwoon
and this is my personal photo site built from flickr data: http://alvinwoon.com/photo/

So yea the advise would be it doesn't matter, just start posting photos in a place where you can easily play and manipulate with the data when you need them :) :thumbup: