The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hybrid B&W printing?

Maggie O

So, I was wondering, in the daydreaming way that I do, why people don't use a hybrid digital/chemical printing process for B&W prints. One where you have a digital negative projected onto chemical photopaper and then developed in wet darkroom, generating a traditional gelatin silver print. Obviously, that's not going to work for a lot of applications, but I'd think it'd be ideal for fine art prints.

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Or is it just not feasible?

JimCollum

So, I was wondering, in the daydreaming way that I do, why people don't use a hybrid digital/chemical printing process for B&W prints. One where you have a digital negative projected onto chemical photopaper and then developed in wet darkroom, generating a traditional gelatin silver print. Obviously, that's not going to work for a lot of applications, but I'd think it'd be ideal for fine art prints.

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Or is it just not feasible?
well... some of us do :)

i print platinum using digital negatives, as well as platinum over pigment (the description of the latter can be found at
http://www.jcollum.com/process.html

F

Flavio

maggie,
just to say that i like your flickr portfolio. very nice the small and original fiat 500 along the seine river :)
both d lux 3 and M8 appear to be great machines.

i have some doubts coming from the dlux lacking of the viewfinder, especially in backlight shooting, so i never bought it and probably its almost time of dl4.

flavio

M

Melbourne

I "think" (?) Metro in London do something very close to what you suggest.
Printing digital "negs" onto traditional paper and then process.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
If you haven't seen Jim's Platinum prints in person, do so. Perhaps he'll grace the next workshop class, and bring one or two of them out. They are simply exquisite!