The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canson Platine Fiber Rag, a New Coated Photo Paper

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
After reading this article on Luminous Landscape by Mark Dubovy, I decided to try the paper.

My current preferred paper of choice is Epson Exhibition Fiber, so that's what I'll compare it to. First let me say the Canson Platine FR is a VERY nice paper! It maybe has a touch more DR than EFP; I can just make out the 254 white square on my printer test target and if I squint and turn the paper sideways, I can sort of distinguish down to the 2 black. This later performance is important because it gives exceptional shadow detail, especially in B&W prints. The Canson has no OBA's so is a bit warmer than EFP. The Canson has a similar but slightly smoother surface, and is not quite as glossy as the EFP, so runs a bit more toward satin. To my eye, is is slightly less "sharp" than EFP, nor does it give quite the impression of depth either, though these last points are very subtly different.

I printed up a few broad toned B&W images and my standard color image test targets on my Epson 7900 using the canned Canson profile for that paper and printer. The profile is outstanding, and showed no anomalies whatsoever. For color work, I recommend using the RC rendering intent as perceptual seems to add some blue, possibly to counteract the warmish paper whites. All colors are reproduced very accurately and most of all, skin-tones are excellent. In B&W, the lengthy tonal range and dead-neutral rendering make for stunning prints. (Note that I do NOT use Epson's Advanced B&W driver for my B&W prints, and rather print them as RGB files using all colors. This allows me more control in toning, especially being able to do subtle split tones.)

To summarize, with it's added warmth and slight satin finish, I think it will make an excellent paper for warm or sepia B&W's, as well as classic color portraits and landscapes. The only downside of this paper currently is it's cost -- it is about as expensive as the next size up EFP...

Canson Platine Fiber Rag can be found HERE at B&H and I suggest you give it a try!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have two unopened boxes from BH sitting on the floor after reading the review. I am glad that you like it ... cannot wait to get some time to run a few prints.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have only about 30 foot left of the 50 foot roll that i ordered.
For me it has displaced Exhibition Fibre rag mainly because of its lack of optical brighteners. Longevity test results are still out, but I expect it to fare well.
The factory supplies profile I found rotated a bit and displaced a bit to the warm side compared with the profiles I created with the sample roll.
I know Jack found it to be a bit warm, but Jack tends to finish warm to my taste anyway and it would probably be a touch warm for him.
I personally think that it is just as sharp as Exhibition Fibre Rag and no need to worry about that on a 24 by 30 inch print at anything further than two inches.
For me, the warmth, which i think comes from the lack of brighteners, is a significant plus. I am guessing that as the brighteners in Exhibition Fiber wear off, that paper will also warm up a touch. nI think the perceptual rendering is perfect with a paper paper profile.
I am burning off all the Exhibition Fibre I have and this is now my current favorite paper, a position which may be temporary :ROTFL:
thanks
-bob

schuster

Platine Fibre Rag's been on the market for a couple of years, but somehow it evaded my radar until recently.

For "watercolor" matte paper I've been very happy with Hahnemühle PhotoRag 308 since my Epson 2200 days, about 10 years ago. Then, after testing about a dozen "photographic" type papers, a year-and-a-half ago, I settled on Canson Baryta Photographique. To my eye, the blacks and color densities are at least as saturated as Ilfo/Ciba-chrome was, plus it can render subtle tonalities that Ilfo/Ciba-chrome could only approach after a lot of tedious masking and processing finagling. I loved Baryta Photographique! On the other hand, it is horrendous to physically work with, for me.

I often print 40"+ panoramas, and learned the hard way that I had to handle Baryta Photographique very delicately or I'd wind up with "crease marks". (The same shapes as the dark "fingernail" marks on your negs after your first attempts at loading 220 on a steel reel... and caused by the same thing.) And wrestling the leading edge of the roll into the printer was like trying to flatten spring steel. Then, after tape mounting, that day's New Hampshire temperature and humidity extremes were duly reflected by the number and intensity of ripples the paper would take on. But, the prints are delicious, and ya do what ya hafta do.

Last March, my paper vendor had a deal I couldn't resist, so I ordered a box of 17x22 Platine. Gorgeous! I eyeballed a saturation and max-D comparison with Baryta Photographique, and it wasn't quite there. However, after a few coats of Hahnemühle Protective Spray, I could not see a difference.

A week later, my first 42" Platine panorama incremented itself out of my printer. Damn! I bumped my elbow while holding the paper! That would almost certainly mean a re-do with the Baryta Photographique, but apparently Platine isn't as fragile. The next day, I sprayed, tape-mounted, matted and framed the way the gallery likes it. I put it under halogens for a few hours... then took it outside to see how it liked spring rain and humidity from the covered porch... then into the kitchen while I baked some bread. No ripples!!!! And... no wrestling matches with spring steel.

And that is how Canson Platine Fibre Rag became the only paper I've been using for the past few months. Even my dear friend Hahnemühle PhotoRag has become a bench-warmer. :bugeyes:

woodyspedden

I just received my first batch of 17x22 Platine yesterday and ran a number of tests with it. (Using real photos!)

I agree with Jack. RC is a better choice of rendering than perceptual.

I tested it against Ilford Gold Silk Fibre, my previous fav. No contest!

So I guess I am stuck with a pretty expensive paper now (compared to IGSF). But the results tell me it is really worth it.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Perceptual is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but RC matches my basic editing parameters very closely, more so than Perceptual, and requires no additional back-end adjustments prior to print based on the proofing view. Where to the contrary, Perceptual is enough different might need some color or contrast tweaks prior to printing to obtain my desired result.

scho

Yes very nice paper. Platine has been my standard for fiber paper, but most of my printing the past year or so has been on either Lexjet WR Satin Cloth for perfect matte prints or Innova hi-gloss WR canvas for glossy. Both mounted as gallery wraps. The satin cloth is translucent and can also be used for a very nice (but expensive) framed, backlit display using large edge lit LED panels.

RMR

Hello. I just bought & tried the Canson Platine FR on my Epson 7900 & had some issues with jamming & tearing. I changed the platen to wide & it seemed ok. Does anyone know the 'proper' setting so as to avoid jams? Appreciate it. Bob

schuster

Does anyone know the 'proper' setting so as to avoid jams?
I haven't had a problem with these settings for roll and sheet:

Paper Thickness: 3
Paper Suction: Standard
Platen Gap: Auto
Roll Paper Back Tension: Auto

Were you having the same problem with sheets and rolls?

I think you're safe with "wide" in any case.

I sure wish Canson would make their Platine sheets available in sizes larger than 17x22 inches.