The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OS X Lion and Epson Drivers, etc.

jonoslack

Most irritating silliness was that the Magic Mouse scrolling was inverted by default. I switched it to work the other way, now everything works as I expect it too.

onwards ...
Okay - but don't you think it actually now works the right way . . . . . it's just that we all learned the 'wrong' way before. Just a little practice required, but it's much more intuitive.

Braeside

Hi Jono,

I'd really like the option of having swipe left right different from up/down scrolling direction.

I find on a computer where I am not touching the screen, that moving my finger down the mouse or the touch pad that I expect to scroll down the page on the screen. BUT when I swipe sideways with 3 fingers I somehow expect the window to go to the left not the right.
As it stands I can't configure things that way.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I'd really like the option of having swipe left right different from up/down scrolling direction.

I find on a computer where I am not touching the screen, that moving my finger down the mouse or the touch pad that I expect to scroll down the page on the screen. BUT when I swipe sideways with 3 fingers I somehow expect the window to go to the left not the right.
Well, I think you're wrong! :poke: it seems to me that in both directions it now works correctly - it's a bit of a culture shock, but that's not the point

Braeside

Perhaps its due to using an iPad that you have become so conditioned?

Problem is that every non Lion system I encounter will be set up for the other way around and I will have to keep rewiring my brain. I already have to use one customer's mouse that is on the left side and has the right click on the left side as well!

Braeside

I'm giving it a longer try now, will see how I get on, but as they say around here - "I am a bit like a coo with a gun".

Godfrey

Useful info, thanks.

But I knew I didn't need to download it each time anyway. I just needed to download it a second time as I didn't stop it before installation began and save the installer application.

Apple gives instructions on how to do that on their website in the Support area:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I've now got a small external drive set up with both Lion and Xcode installer apps so I can boot a system, erase its internal drive, and then do a complete installation from scratch any time.

I might make a DVD and a flash drive to do it too, that's convenient.

Godfrey

Okay - but don't you think it actually now works the right way . . . . . it's just that we all learned the 'wrong' way before. Just a little practice required, but it's much more intuitive.
Actually, no, I don't.

I see a scroll wheel (or the Magic Mouse touch simulation of a scroll wheel) as pulling the scroll bar control down, not pushing the piece of paper or view up ... It's analogous to my action when I'm opening a window shade, I pull the cord down to make the shade go up.

When I'm using a touch device to view a document, I push the view up because I'm moving the virtual object (the "paper"), not a control element manipulating that object.

I tried switching it to the default and found trying to use the scroller this way for a couple of hours very frustrating. It breaks 30 years of muscle memory and my mental logic of what I'm doing when I use a scroll wheel.

The other Lion touch gestures make sense and I have learned them easily, but this one I think they got backwards.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Well, I think you're wrong! :poke: it seems to me that in both directions it now works correctly - it's a bit of a culture shock, but that's not the point

jonoslack

Actually, no, I don't.

I see a scroll wheel (or the Magic Mouse touch simulation of a scroll wheel) as pulling the scroll bar control down, not pushing the piece of paper or view up ... It's analogous to my action when I'm opening a window shade, I pull the cord down to make the shade go up.

When I'm using a touch device to view a document, I push the view up because I'm moving the virtual object (the "paper"), not a control element manipulating that object.

I tried switching it to the default and found trying to use the scroller this way for a couple of hours very frustrating. It breaks 30 years of muscle memory and my mental logic of what I'm doing when I use a scroll wheel.

The other Lion touch gestures make sense and I have learned them easily, but this one I think they got backwards.
When you're opening a window shade you pull the cord to make the shade come down too - there's just two pulls!

I grant you 30 years of muscle memory ( I have it too ) but it's only taken a couple of hours to change over . . . it would have taken weeks to comfortably go from right to wrong!

Godfrey

When you're opening a window shade you pull the cord to make the shade come down too - there's just two pulls!

I grant you 30 years of muscle memory ( I have it too ) but it's only taken a couple of hours to change over . . . it would have taken weeks to comfortably go from right to wrong!
The window shade analogy is weak for that reason, but it is only an analogy. A scroll bar determines a particular place in a window's view of a document. It has a fixed run in a view of a given size and only moves up and down ... you don't have one to pull down to go down and another to pull down to go up. It also reports back to me as a user where I am in the document very efficiently.

When I'm using a scroll wheel, I'm setting the position of the view of the document referencing the window structure via the scroll indicator on the screen, not just shoving the paper upwards or downwards. Pulling the scroller down ... rolling the scroll wheel down ... moves the view to the bottom of the underlying document. It allows me to traverse a great distance in the view by moving the scroll control quickly to a relative position of the total document.

We will not agree on this, Jono, so I'm not going to debate it. I know what doesn't work for me just as well as you do, and we are different.

Terry

I think it is just a muscle memory issue. Everyone seems to have gotten used to scrolling on the iPad without complaint (and it feels pretty intuitive). The new default is the same scrolling. It just feels wrong because we learned it the other way. If the original design of scrolling mice was in the opposite direction we wouldn't be having the conversation today.

Godfrey

I think it is just a muscle memory issue. Everyone seems to have gotten used to scrolling on the iPad without complaint (and it feels pretty intuitive). The new default is the same scrolling. It just feels wrong because we learned it the other way. If the original design of scrolling mice was in the opposite direction we wouldn't be having the conversation today.
I believe it goes deeper than that, Terry. An iPad is a touch based device ... you are manipulating the virtual thing itself. With a scroller and a scrollbar, you are manipulating the position of the view, not the virtual thing itself.

Imagine a piece of paper on your desk and a window that you can see it through which is smaller than the piece of paper. When you want to view the bottom of the page, you don't slide the paper up, you move the window down. That's what the scrollbar-scroller control is modeled on, not the touch-based operation of moving a piece of paper with no frame across your view. It's a matter of perception and frame of reference.

And that's the last I'll say about it as it really is a pretty unimportant issue ... After all, Apple recognizes that what they chose as a default might not be everyone's preference and provided an option to make it work the right way.
]'-)

Just like some people like Nikon, some like Canon ... some like Sony NEX, some like Panasonic Lumix, and some like some other cameras simply because they work the way a particular person wants, to bring it back to photographic things.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This thread is a bit old now, but I had to find a place to post my joy. Since switching to Lion and taking the steps to align all the various Epson updates/drivers, I am in printing nirvana.

Finally, they found a way to stick the printer settings so every time you make another copy of the same print you don't have to go back in and click resolution, etc.

And (really big AND) my prints have never been this easy to make. I could tape them to my monitor and flip them up to reveal almost exactly what I'm seeing onscreen to what's on paper from the 3800.

Yip-the-frik-eee!

Tim

Godfrey

This thread is a bit old now, but I had to find a place to post my joy. Since switching to Lion and taking the steps to align all the various Epson updates/drivers, I am in printing nirvana.

Finally, they found a way to stick the printer settings so every time you make another copy of the same print you don't have to go back in and click resolution, etc.

And (really big AND) my prints have never been this easy to make. I could tape them to my monitor and flip them up to reveal almost exactly what I'm seeing onscreen to what's on paper from the 3800.

Yip-the-frik-eee!
That's good to hear.

It sounds like you're printing from Photoshop. Printing from Lightroom has done this for a long time since you can save printing templates which contain all the printer settings you've put together and re-use them at any time, on any image.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Yes, PS is my favorite program to print from. Habit mainly. Although it's good to know that LR is happy with Lion too.