The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OS X Lion and Epson Drivers, etc.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
If you look at the utilities that come along with Epson printer drivers (Printer Watcher, etc.) (I have 3800 and 3880), they are Power PC type, which means they will not run under OS x 10.7 ("Lion"). Until Epson releases updates, beware of "upgrading" to 10.7. I also noticed that the app for my Spyder 2 monitor calibrator is Power PC (and that one may not be updated), and finally, my system also shows a piece of Noise Ninja running under Power PC (aka Rosetta).

If you want to take a look at your apps, run System Profiler and then click on apps. The type of app is listed for each and you can sort by type so you can see how much PowerPC stuff you have.

If anyone who has run the developer version has better information, would you let us know please?

Godfrey

It is quite likely that new, updated Epson utilities will debut with Mac OS X v10.7 since 10.7 is 64-bit and Intel Core-Duo 2 or later only. Exactly what drivers will be bundled is always a question mark, of course. The only PowerPC components remaining on my system are a couple of older installers.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
After some back and forth with Epson, it looks like the drivers and accompanying utilities "should" work in OS X 10.7, as they are "Universal". Some older utilities, including one I have that does a power nozzle clean, are written for PowerPC and unless rewritten will not work. Epson is silent as to those.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
MacUpdate a day or so ago included new Epson drivers with some of the utilities built in. I have to assume they revised for Lion, though nothing obviously was said. Anyhow, the new drivers work very nicely in 10.6.8, and I am reasonably sure (but not offering insurance policy) that they will work in 10.7.

Terry

Re: OS X Lion and Xrite ...

Just as important, display calibration utilities need to be brought up to date too.

Xrite sent me this the other day:

UPDATE: Linon compatibility for X-Rite color solutions
Kind of peeved that I see this now (not at you more at xrite). I just upgraded my Display2 to the new Display Pro opened the box on Friday. I tried the updated xrite profile software and it didn't work with my puck. When I ordered earlier in the week the xrite website just shows the Display2 as a discontinued item so I bit the $250 bullet.

I wonder what the fix for a nominal charge is going to be for that device. Well at least now that it will work again, I guess there will be a market to sell it.

PeterL

Does anyone know what this means for NEC Spectraview II? I'm about to upgrade to a wide gamut monitor from NEC, but if I'm now stuck with not being able to run Lion, I may have to look for other solutions.

Cheers, -Peter

weinschela

Subscriber Member
On the calibration side, I will simply add what I know: the Xrite Colormunki software is Universal and should work. On the other hand, my old Spyder2 runs with PowerPC software, and I think we have to assume it will not be updated and will not work. That is one reason I shifted to Colormunki.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know what this means for NEC Spectraview II? I'm about to upgrade to a wide gamut monitor from NEC, but if I'm now stuck with not being able to run Lion, I may have to look for other solutions.

Cheers, -Peter
Spectraview II is a universal application so at least that hurdle is out of the way.
Other barriers to compatibility may however still exist.
-bob

weinschela

Subscriber Member
They're had the utilities built in for quite a while, no? It all seems to be accessible from the various system panels without running special tools or utilities.
Yes, but they seem even more tightly wound to the driver. You can get ink levels etc, right from the driver settings. I think nozzle cleaning is still a separate utility but appears to be Universal. There were other utilities such as for updating printer firmware, that are all PowerPC and do not show up anywhere in the new drivers -- or if they do, I haven't found them yet.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
By the way, the word on MacRumors as well as other sites is that Lion 10.7 will be out Wednesday. Along with some new Macbook Airs.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Loaded Lion on cloned partition with any real preparation, printed immediately from LR to an Epson 3800 without any updates or issues. Some cosmetic differences in dialog boxes, but printing is pretty much identical to Snow Leopard.

Godfrey

Decided to be adventurous too. I cloned my startup drive and have done an install over .. Just waiting for the Xcode tools to finish downloading now.

Fun fun fun...

jonoslack

Decided to be adventurous too. I cloned my startup drive and have done an install over .. Just waiting for the Xcode tools to finish downloading now.

Fun fun fun...
I bought it too . . . . 4 hours ago, and it's nearly 20 percent downloaded!
:sleep006::sleep006::sleep006::sleep006::sleep006::sleep006:

Oh for a decent internet connection

Spectraview II is a universal application so at least that hurdle is out of the way.
Other barriers to compatibility may however still exist.
-bob
Spoke with "Level 2" support at NEC a few days ago, triggered by x-rite's email. They seem to think there is no problem, though I couldn't "pin them down". It was kind of "don't worry, be happy". I'm not upgrading for a while, given other software issues.

Godfrey

I bought it too . . . . 4 hours ago, and it's nearly 20 percent downloaded!

Oh for a decent internet connection
Both Lion and Xcode 4 installers downloaded and installed, about 2 hours each. A couple of minor incompatibilities at this point, but nothing serious. Everything seems to be working well.

I'm a little irritated that you have to go back to the App Store to re-download the Lion installer if you want to have it for installation on another drive.

Can't say how the performance is until all the Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backup work finishes running. Right now, aside from Safari, they're all that's running and are taking up 30-60% of the compute power available. It's still not bad at all, really.

Lightroom 3.4.1 worked just fine, as did my Chronosync photo backup system.

I like the new Mail features, most of them anyway.

Most irritating silliness was that the Magic Mouse scrolling was inverted by default. I switched it to work the other way, now everything works as I expect it too.

onwards ...

Braeside

Both Lion and Xcode 4 installers downloaded and installed, about 2 hours each. A couple of minor incompatibilities at this point, but nothing serious. Everything seems to be working well.

I'm a little irritated that you have to go back to the App Store to re-download the Lion installer if you want to have it for installation on another drive.

Can't say how the performance is until all the Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backup work finishes running. Right now, aside from Safari, they're all that's running and are taking up 30-60% of the compute power available. It's still not bad at all, really.

Lightroom 3.4.1 worked just fine, as did my Chronosync photo backup system.

I like the new Mail features, most of them anyway.

Most irritating silliness was that the Magic Mouse scrolling was inverted by default. I switched it to work the other way, now everything works as I expect it too.

onwards ...
Geodfrey

You don't need to download the Lion each time.

See:

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to-burn-your-own-lion-install-dvd-or-flash-drive