The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best screen for long working hours without eyestrain

R

Reproster

Hi!
last 5 years my main working screen was APPLE 23" cinema LCD but I have problem I can't work even 1/2 hour without break because my eyes start to hurt and blurry. Even when I use optical doctor prescribed glasses - I get eyestrain.

As my main income depend, on long working hours in front of screen it is very important to solve this issue to not get blind and lost everything!

I already tried to use macbook pro (with matte screen) and it is more better than 23" cinema screen for text reading but I hope there is something even better...........

So I need very, very good monitor...

What is Your experience and which screen You choose?

Thank You!

Regards,
Martins

Godfrey

Hi!
last 5 years my main working screen was APPLE 23" cinema LCD but I have problem I can't work even 1/2 hour without break because my eyes start to hurt and blurry. Even when I use optical doctor prescribed glasses - I get eyestrain.

As my main income depend, on long working hours in front of screen it is very important to solve this issue to not get blind and lost everything!

I already tried to use macbook pro (with matte screen) and it is more better than 23" cinema screen for text reading but I hope there is something even better...........

So I need very, very good monitor...

What is Your experience and which screen You choose?
Hmm. I used the Apple 23" from 2006 until March of this year, never had any problems with my eyes using it. I gave it to my partner (who loves it) and bought myself the latest Apple 27" LED ... it's sharper and images even better. Still no eyestrain.

Don't know what to suggest.

R

Reproster

Godfrey, You are Lucky!

I'm searching via google for solution... but there are only few suggestions...and few forums.. but nothing new........ Pixel Qi looks promising..for text reading..not for retouching......and color critical tasks.........I need both...

some guy said that PVA - Eizo EV2333W is the way to go.......
some sugested that NEC 241.......

I hope that somebody has the same issue and already solved it.....

Thank You!

M.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have the same problem occasionally. The monitor that works best for me is the Samsung SyncMaster F2380 (from their professional line). It seems to have a more subdued lighting without losing in areas like colour correctness or clarity. It's relatively inexpensive at $3-400, but unfortunately, Samsung has stopped importing it to Thailand :(

R

Reproster

Thank You! Jorgen!

is it Samsung SyncMaster F2380M (LS23NVMAB5/EN)?
or other modification?

For me the most important aspect is maximum comfort for eyes...even color accuracy is not so important.......lot of pre-press kind working....and text reading (spreadsheets etc.)

I will add it to my monitor candidate list!!!
I hope there will be more options!

I'm ready to spend lot more money only If it guarantee comfortable long time working without eyestrain.....

So here is my candidate list for today:

Eizo EV2333W
NEC PA 241W
Samsung SyncMaster F2380M ?

If somebody have some of those screen or something better please write Your experience.....

I already tried NEC MultiSync EA231WMi Series and it not up to comfortable long working...colors after calibration are great but........

Thank You!
M.

Godfrey

One thing that does help, with either the ACD 23 or 27, is that I change the gamma to 1.8. As delivered, the native gamma and white point are too high and too blue to my eye ... I set my calibration targets to 120 Luminance, 1.8 Gamma, 5500K white point.

Both displays are then MUCH easier on the eye.

The modern convention is for punch punchy punch display calibration calibration. I find it very annoying, a poor way to view or edit photographs, and it doesn't match to my images on paper very well.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have a 30" Apple Cinema, and though I have bad eyes, it is not a problem. One thing to think about is how you have your monitor setup -- i.e. screen resolution, colors, brightness. Sometimes too much resolution is not a great idea as it can reduce the size of objects (including text) on your screen. You might also try a plain gray or green background rather than some funky wallpaper, and you can increases the size of your icons if that helps too. Other than that I don't think you can take anyone else's situation and translate it. You need to go see some screens in operation to see if they are better than what you have got. Given that the Apple Cinema screens are usually very good, I am not sure you will so easily find something else, so I would try adjustments first.

R

Reproster

Thank You, everyone!

I already tried...to change a lot of things... from native resolution to other, gamma, font size, brightness, changed color temperature, different kind of calibration presets..... etc.......got to try Eizo 19"x2 dual setup,even Dell 30".... but without any sufficient results....after few minutes I feel tired and feel uncomfortably...................even if I spend my last few days without computer, TV, just in nature with camera...... I can't look on regular patterns (even vertical and horizontal lines)...because if I look to them too long everything gets blurry and after 10-15 min I have terrible headaches.. ;(

I'm 100% sure that I'm not alone with those symptoms...similar problems....

Of course I already visited doctor....and lot of research...but nothing rely helps.....just they suggested that I need everyday swimming and different other physical activities.......and I do it..... but problem stays...... I try to spend my time in front of LCD as short as possible......but as my main income it is very hard.....

so still searching for perfect monitor for very sensitive eyes!

And I hope WE will find a solution......

Sometimes I try to work without LCD..just plug a projector and voila 60-70" picture on the wall-mount screen.....eyes feel much better......... but it is not for color critical jobs...... so still searching....for solution....

Thank You!

Joe

Do you have to use the screen for everything? What about printing out the spread sheets? Ask your eye doctor about "room vision" glasses -- good for near and out to about 6 - 10 feet, but not for long distance. I have used these for several years and they make monitors much easier to work with for me. I also have to work with a very sensitive eye doctor that will ensure that my astigmatism is well corrected, in order to minimize eye strain. It requires patience and repetition during the exam to get it right.

smilem

I have to say

1st thing is good calibration with spectrophotometer not cheap colorimeter. Hire somebody to do this properly, make 2 profiles.

1st profile for 100% 100cdm2 and nother for 40%-45% for 45cdm2 that way if you browsing the internet, using word, excell anything with allot white splace you can switch to lower cdm2 profile with feew clicks.

Other than that, make sure you use goog monitor setup, no reflections on your monitor from light sources. I would prefer glossy screen - the only option is Mac monitors, otherwise true LED hp dreamcolor lp2480zx, but as hell expensive.

The major problem with LED monitors is: They use non RGB leds to make white, but only blue tinted leds that seem to be white. The downside is that color rendition suffers and eye strain is the same as if you used CCFL LCD monitors, sometimes worse.

Now another thing you don't know that polarised light depending on light source is harmful to view, also because most monitors use CCFL bulbs with high blue spectrum spike I doubt you can call any such monitor good for the eyes. The reviewers that continue to lie all over the net about "no eye strain LCD monitors" keep me thinking are people so dumb to do their own research these days with the power of Internet it is easy. A real eye opener if you ask me.

So my list would be like this:

1. True RGB monitor (no blue LEDS or harmful CCFL)
2. Calibrated monitor
3. Small pixel size 0.233 or smaller (remember good CRT's had 0.20 and medical LCD have the same pixel too 0.2 not 0.294 you can see these with naked eye)
4. Glossy screen (to minimize polarization effect and increase black level)
5. Ergonomic display placement no reflected light sources.

R

Reproster

Thank You Joe, Johannes, Smilem and everyone else!

About ergonomic and calibration: already set and tried........ as I said the problem is my eyes...... ;(

LED based screens candidates for today:
HP LP2480zx or Apple 27 screen???? Any expierence?

As I understand even LED backlight make flickering.....only with higher refreshrate........ 200 Hz or so.....so problem stays...

Right now I'm looking on those CCFL type screens:
1. p-IPS NEC PA241W-BK-SV
2. IPS - NEC PA231W-BK-SV
3. PVA - Eizo EV2333W
4. Samsung SyncMaster F2380M...
5. eIPS - Dell UltraSharp 2410 24" - (recommended by some workmates)
6. Dell U2711

as I wrote before the main problem for me - is LONG working hours, so I need the most comfortable screen as possible....... any good alternatives for those CCFL screens? OR maybe there are something new to wait?

Thank You!
Martins

smilem

The ideal monitor would be SONY FED display they didn't make, you can read about it here:
http://gizmodo.com/250626/sony-to-d...consumers-with-yet-another-display-technology

It is thin as LCD, no flicker 300HZ, no LCD nonsense as this is slim CRT monitor. So all advantages of CRT + 300HZ refresh rate. There is no excuse for not making it. Sony are a biggest fools of 21st century.

About LED flicker it depends on back light technology. It can be pulse driver and constant current driven, then it does not flicker. Unfortunately the first technology is cheaper to make and is used even in desktop monitors when in fact it was made for laptops.

I never seen live monitors you mentioned only read reviews so I'll leave that to those who so / used them.

R

ronshort

Hi great help, because i use computer for like 12 to 14 hours.
thanks buddy