The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting up Epson 3800 for the first time

Lars

I'm about to load inks into my 3800. Any starter tips beyond what the Epson docs say? I've got Jack's profiles (from last year), and an i1pro to make my own.

Lars

Terry

I didn't do anything special. I got mine back in April and here are the instructions I got from Jack at the time...this is for Mac and I know you are windows....

All you need is the basic printer and either a USB2 or Network cable. the printer arrives with a full set of inks and even a few sheets of paper to run the head check and alignment tests. Instead of loading the drivers off the CD that ships with the printer, you'll want to go to the Epson site and download the newest drivers for Leopard. You will also need to instal the Epson remote panel utility -- install this after the driver. If you are connecting over network, there are few other files you'll need to download and install. FInally, when you feel up to it, there is a firmware upgrade for the printer -- not critical, and a somewhat arduous task using the remote panel utility.

Other than that, all you need is paper and images ;)

Lars

Images, check.

Papers... looking at my stack of papers (mostly used for my old 1270), I cannot help but wonder what papers will be compatible with the 3800 inkset. Here is a list of the papers that I have lying around:

Epson Archival Matte / Matte Heavyweight (my favorite for proofing)
Epson Durabrite
Epson Premium Glossy
Epson Colorlife
Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine Art Paper
Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss Paper
Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss Media
Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Paper

Also interested in recommendation of paper type for presenting "fine art" landscape photography portfolio.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lars:

Just a few extra points... Epson has changed the names of their papers 8 or 10 months ago, and slightly altered the formulas. Luster, now called Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster, is slightly different than the older Premium Luster paper and takes the inks a bit better. Gloss suffered the same name change weirdness and frankly I cannot tell any difference. The old profiles will work okay.

My favorite coated papers for the 3800 are UPPP Luster and Harman FB Al Gloss, the regular not the warmtone. For art papers I still like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art.

Hook up should be easy, just download the latest drivers from the Epson site, and make sure you install the remote panel utility (but do it after the driver install) so you can update the firmware and run the advanced nozzle checks and cleaning.

Cheers,

Ralph Eisenberg

You might want to try the Epson Traditional Photo Paper (as it is called in Europe, or at least in France. In the U.S. it is called Exhibition Fiber - although it is unclear whether these are really identical). Epson lists a profile for the paper just below their drivers, it is not loaded with the other Epson profiles when you install the driver. And as has been indicated already above, Eric Chan's website is a very valuable resource for the printer. You will really enjoy this excellent and trouble-free printer.