The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9900 paper jams w/ Canson Platine Fiber rag

2jbourret

I've had minimal trouble w/ paper jams since starting to use a new Epson 9900, but have had nothing but trouble with one paper, Canson Platine Fiber rag. I generally use Moab Entrada in sheets and roll, but I'm testing with Canson Baryta and Canson Platine Fiber rag sheets, both in 8.5/11 size. The Baryta runs fine, never a jam, but the Platine jams every time, not a single successful print yet. I am using each with the appropriate profile and Epson paper setting for each. The platine sheets seem to have more curl than the Baryta, so I've bumped up the suction a notch, but still no success.

Any thoughts?

Stuart Richardson

I find that with papers that have a reverse curl (like Harman Gloss Baryta and similar), I need to bend the paper against the curl. I bend it both lengthwise and across the width. If it is very bad, I will curl the four corners back a bit as well. 8.5x11/A4 and 8x10 seem to suffer the most, as when the 9900 loads the paper, if the sheet is small it will go under lip of the paper intake, and then when it does it's back and forth paper loading dance, it will hit the inside edge of the printer and jam. It will not do it with larger papers, as they do not go below paper intake area, so they can't catch on the same place. (I am not sure if that is well described, but I could snap a photo if you are not sure what I mean). Basically though, after resorting to giving a bit of careful bending in the opposite direction, I have not had any paper types that I haven't been able to get to work. Also make sure you have the platen gap set to wide or wider...that should prevent head strikes or jams in papers that have reverse curl.

NotXorc

That's a good word, Stuart.
I use both of the papers mentioned, but have only had difficulty with the Gloss Baryta on my Epson 3880. Instead of jams, I experienced head strikes, usually as the 8.5 x 11" print was almost finished. Next time, I will orient the paper in landscape aspect and impart a reverse bend, to flatten out the curl. Cheers! :)

Last edited:

2jbourret

Although my problem is not yet solved, I am happy to report that I was contacted by a representative of Canson, who is working with me to find a solution. It is encouraging to find that there's a company that, simply based on a posting here, will take the initiative to seek to resolve a customer's issue w/ their product.
I'll post results when the jury is back...

2jbourret

OK, the jury is back, and the outcome is good. Turns out that lack of humidity in my locale (typically below 20%) causes the coated papers to warp as the inks are laid down, which in turns causes headstrikes and jamming. I've installed a humidifier (and humidistat), humidity in the print room is being maintained at 35-40%, and I'm now having no problems.