The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tips for printing wallet size please

tom in mpls

My daughter, the high school senior, has had a professional shoot for her graduation picture. I did not feel qualified; very limited attempts by me at portrait. So, I'm glad she got a good photographer. He did get many superb shots. Interestingly, the photographer is less than enthusiastic about printing. Well, of course that can be a chore, but I thought there's money to be made there. Anyway, that's where I come in. We can get the files, and I'm glad to make prints on my new Epson R3000 for her. I've printed 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 13x19, but never wallet size of which she does want a supply. What's the best way to go about wallets? Which size paper? And to date I've never printed multiple prints on one sheet, so how best to arrange them? I use Photoshop, and I do have a pro grade trimmer.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter, the high school senior, has had a professional shoot for her graduation picture. I did not feel qualified; very limited attempts by me at portrait. So, I'm glad she got a good photographer. He did get many superb shots. Interestingly, the photographer is less than enthusiastic about printing. Well, of course that can be a chore, but I thought there's money to be made there. Anyway, that's where I come in. We can get the files, and I'm glad to make prints on my new Epson R3000 for her. I've printed 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 13x19, but never wallet size of which she does want a supply. What's the best way to go about wallets? Which size paper? And to date I've never printed multiple prints on one sheet, so how best to arrange them? I use Photoshop, and I do have a pro grade trimmer.
Tom,
I hate to day this, but sometimes the drugstore like a Walgreens or a CVS does a pretty good job for less than our material cost.
-bob

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Which version of Photoshop? There is a plugin called Picture Package that will do pretty much what you want. It isn't automatically installed with CS5 but was with prior versions - I think it's under the File/Automate/ menu. I believe on a Mac with CS5 you have to launch it in 32bit mode.

tom in mpls

Tom,
I hate to day this, but sometimes the drugstore like a Walgreens or a CVS does a pretty good job for less than our material cost.
-bob
Yeah, I just might do that, Bob. BTE, what are the dimensions of wallet size?

Which version of Photoshop? There is a plugin called Picture Package that will do pretty much what you want. It isn't automatically installed with CS5 but was with prior versions - I think it's under the File/Automate/ menu. I believe on a Mac with CS5 you have to launch it in 32bit mode.
I have CS5. And CS4.
For the life of me, I can't understand the installation instructions or installation software from Adobe. It seems Picuktre Package will only run with PS 32 bit mode, but I can't even get it to install.

Last edited:

tom in mpls

I have to admit, I am confused about Lightroom. What does it do? I thought it was a photo processing competitor to Photoshop CS, but it is also an Adobe product so it must have a different focus. (Really, I had not intended to pun.)

bradhusick

Tom,
Lightroom is a photo database, photo editor and printing tool. I now do 80-90% of my work in Lightroom, jumping to Photoshop for intensive pixel pushing. Many experts consider the printing module in Lightroom far superior to that in Photoshop. Also, Lightroom uses the Adobe Camera Raw engine for raw processing and all corrections are done in metadata, leaving the raw file completely intact. In my opinion Lightroom is the best product Abode has ever made.

I'd be willing to spend an hour on the phone with you sometime next week if you'd like a hands-on introduction to Lightroom. I can help get you started with a good setup.

-Brad

Greg Lockrey

Qimage.... I even printed postage stamp size. If making any size or combination of sizes on a sheet Qimage is hands down the best way to go.

Godfrey

Belaboring ultimate quality for wallet sized photos seems a little over the top ... Make 'em quick, and machine prints are generally good enough. :)

For wallet sized photos, I either use a printing template in Lightroom, gang-print and slice them up with the cutter, or I just drop a finished JPEG into iPhoto and order them that way.

tom in mpls

Belaboring ultimate quality for wallet sized photos seems a little over the top ... Make 'em quick, and machine prints are generally good enough. :)

For wallet sized photos, I either use a printing template in Lightroom, gang-print and slice them up with the cutter, or I just drop a finished JPEG into iPhoto and order them that way.
Wow, I am way out of the loop these days. Ordering prints via iPhoto? Another lesson for me to learn. :) Since getting into digital years ago, I have made all my prints at home.

kdphotography

Adobe Photoshop and Qimage are a good combination. Regardless, wallets are just icky to trim. Time is better spent elsewhere. I prefer to send my wallet orders out to a pro-lab like Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut and the rounded corners are a bit more polished in presentation.

tom in mpls

Adobe Photoshop and Qimage are a good combination. Regardless, wallets are just icky to trim. Time is better spent elsewhere. I prefer to send my wallet orders out to a pro-lab like Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut and the rounded corners are a bit more polished in presentation.
I'm convinced. Wallets will not be printed in house.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Tom, I don't even bother with 4 x 6 on larger printers. If this is a continuing project, the Canon Selphy dye sub printers have wallet size capability as well as 4 x 6, are pretty fast and not that expensive.

David Schneider

Wallets can be printed in-house, but I only give my senior clients die cut with rounded corners on wallets. I like the look. Die cutting rounded corners is an expense I don't need.

J

jeklin

very easy way to print wallet size, you should make 4x6 size and place your photo and re-size it to set half of a 4x6 sheet.
-------------
Photoshop knowledge, psd background download

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
very easy way to print wallet size, you should make 4x6 size and place your photo and re-size it to set half of a 4x6 sheet.
You talking inches? a wallet is 2.5 x 3.5 inches, half of a 3.5x5 print. a 3x4 (half of a 4x6) would be a little big to fit in a wallet.

D

devidmicheal

I would rather send my wallet out of order pro-lab, such as the Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut with rounded corners are a little polished presentation. I am just a drop in pre-JPEG in iPhoto and order in that way.