The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Signatures

Reynolds

Workshop Member
How do you add a digital signature to an image instead of actually signing it with a Sharpie or the like? Jack, you are adding a facsimile of your signature. Share yet another secret!!!

Best,

Reynolds

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Reynolds!

You mean an actual signature like I did in the lower left corner of the one below, or having a digital copyright embedded?

Reynolds

Workshop Member
The actual signature as you are showing in your example image. I was thinking about adding mine to some now that I am so much the better photographer thanks to you!!!

R

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's actually pretty easy. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote a while back:

The first step is to create a “Signature” brush is PS. You can scan in a handwritten signature or use a font you like. Here is how to do it:

1. Open PS and create a new file about 500x500 pixels. Make sure the background is set to “transparent” or "white" and while not critical, I use sRGB color space and 8-bit mode.

2. Select the “Type” tool and drag a box onto the transparent background. Select a type style you like and type your signature in black as you want it to appear on your images.

3. NOTE: I add the copyright symbol to the left of my name. To get the copyright symbol in windows, hold the “alt” key and type “0169” then release the alt key; on Mac, it's Option+G.

4. Once you have the signature the way you want it, merge the layers.

5. Now using the rectangular marquis, outline the signature area.

6. With the selection active, go to Edit/Define Brush Preset and give your brush a name you will recognize like “My Signature” and click “okay”. Your brush is now saved and is the very last brush in the brush palette dropdown list, but it is likely not the best size for your uses.

7. To correct the size you can now adjust it like any other brush, but the font can go fuzzy, so it's usually best to make a few brushes of different size brushes by re-sizing your font in step 2. I find 250 pixels to be a good standard size for prints, more like 30 for web. Simply size your brush to the new standard size you want a re-save it so you wont have to redo this step each time you use it.

8. For an actual signature replica, in lieu of step 2 above scan a copy of your signature, preferably black ink on white paper since you will be selecting the signature only for use as your brush. Select the signature with the magic wand tool and paste it into the transparent background. Proceed with steps 3 through 6.

Now that the brush is made, you can simply stamp it on an image, but with layers we can be far more creative. For example, I like to first select a complimentary color from my image for the signature itself. Then I like to place it on a layer above the final image that is slightly transparent with a drop-shadow – this gives the effect of the signature being done in a colored bead of water over the image.

BTW, I'll demo this in Moab :D

Cheers,

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Looks like I am going to need some lessons on the "Select the signature with the magic wand tool" part. If I am using the right tool ("Quick Select" in CS3), I am having a tough time getting it confined to just the signature scanned. Wish I could make Moab!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Reynolds:

Re-read instruction #5 --- I say use the "RECTANGULAR MARQUIS" tool, NOT the magic wand or quick-select! The marquis tool is the square (or oval) dotted line at the top of your menu bar and you can use either square or round, doesn't matter. Just need to select around the signature to include it all in the brush you make.

:),

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
If you're attempting to select your black signature from the scan, try using the "magic wand" and not the "quick select". If you click and hold the Quick Select you'll see the old magic wand as an alternate option for that tool. Now select the white of the background and then inverse the selection. That's it (roughly) but you may have to clean it up a bit depending on the tolerances of your Magic Wand.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you're attempting to select your black signature from the scan, try using the "magic wand" and not the "quick select". If you click and hold the Quick Select you'll see the old magic wand as an alternate option for that tool. Now select the white of the background and then inverse the selection. That's it (roughly) but you may have to clean it up a bit depending on the tolerances of your Magic Wand.
Another option is to hit the levels sliders hard to make the background more pure white, then the brush creation will ignore it when building the brush ;)

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Yes, I am trying to use the actual signature. I did find the magic wand. Now, I just have to learn how to use it! Sorry to get you guys involved in this relative madness!!

Now, that I have the wand, I will figure it out. I can get parts of the signature to copy, just not the whole thing as it is.

Many thanks for your help here. Has nothing to do with the art of photography. Literally, "form over substance"!!!

R

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
After you apply Jack's levels suggestion, click the white area of your scan. It should select an area of white that runs into the black of your sig. To select all the white, rather than click inside each vowel, etc., go to the "Select" pull-down menu and click "Select Similar". It should select all the white pixels on your black and white scan.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Reynolds:

If you get stuck, email me the scan and I'll create the brush for you and email it back to you.

Jack

Lars

Just a thought on security...

Perhaps it would be a good idea not to publish your handwritten signature on the internet. Or make sure the signature is quite different from the one you use in legal matters.

Lars