The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3880 or 4900?

etrigan63

I want to consolidate my photo printers down to one device. I took a hard look at the Epson printers and it comes down to the 3880 or the 4900.

I currently have an HP B9180 for smaller prints and a Canon W6400PG for bigger prints. I rarely print larger than 16x20, so either of the aforementioned Epsons would suit me. My question is about image quality and the paper range size. I would like to print from 4x6 up to 16x20 on the same device. I don't think the 4900 can do this with cut sheets. Are there sheets of 8x12 paper I could use?

Also, where would be the best place to sell my printers? Both are in working order, but the HP could use some new print heads and both need some ink. The Canon is a floor standing model and would be difficult to ship. I don't have the boxes for either of them.

fotografz

I want to consolidate my photo printers down to one device. I took a hard look at the Epson printers and it comes down to the 3880 or the 4900.

I currently have an HP B9180 for smaller prints and a Canon W6400PG for bigger prints. I rarely print larger than 16x20, so either of the aforementioned Epsons would suit me. My question is about image quality and the paper range size. I would like to print from 4x6 up to 16x20 on the same device. I don't think the 4900 can do this with cut sheets. Are there sheets of 8x12 paper I could use?

Also, where would be the best place to sell my printers? Both are in working order, but the HP could use some new print heads and both need some ink. The Canon is a floor standing model and would be difficult to ship. I don't have the boxes for either of them.
I just replaced my hard working 3800 (that finally gave out) with a 3880, because I can use the fortune in spare inks I already have, and there is a $300. rebate on the 3880.

Marc

Terry

Double check the space you have for the printer. I had the 3800 and now have the 4900 the size difference was significant and the 4900 entailed buying a new much deeper table for it to sit on.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If you don't need roll printing, the 38XX printers are amazingly good for their small footprint and price. And they print 4x6. I bought one when they first came out and it's going strong. The only other printer I know of that can do 4x6 and 16x20 is the old HP130 series - which can go even bigger, but, if I recall correctly, have limited paper choices.

For that matter, are there ANY 24" printers comparable in size to the HP130? The modern Epson/Canon/HP 24" printers are enormous.:eek:

Best,
Matt

Lars

For that matter, are there ANY 24" printers comparable in size to the HP130? The modern Epson/Canon/HP 24" printers are enormous.:eek:

Best,
Matt
Yeah the HP 130 was a neat package. Impossibly fragile dye inks though - sneeze and you get white dissolved spots even on a year-old print.

I must say my 3800 continues to impress. It's been sitting in storage, inked, for over a year until I pulled it out the other week. First test page showed only two clogged nozzles, all cleared after one prints.

B

BCMielke

I went through this same process. As others have said check how much space you have and that may make your decision for you. The 4880 or 4900 is VERY large. The other concern I have is to use it every week for a print so I am not wasting ink. I can usually find a 4x6 that I want to print each week so that isn't an issue. Either prints beautifully so enjoy!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If you don't need roll printing, the 38XX printers are amazingly good for their small footprint and price.

+1, like it a lot.

etrigan63

Well it looks like the 3880 will fit on my current desk with room to spare. The fact that it can print 4x6 to 17x24 looks like the clincher for me. Now I have to figure out how I can trade-in/sell my two printers to fund this...

Is there any chance of a 3900 on the horizon?

K

keithmilestn

I just got the 4900 after my trusty R2400 printed its last photo. It was quite a jump up in terms of size, but the prints are astounding.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Same same. I bought the 3885 (Asia version of the 3880) six months ago. Print quality is out of this world and it isn't much larger than many A3 printers. I considered the 4900 also, but it's much larger as well as heavier and with my print volume, it would take rather long time to save an amount corresponding to the price difference between the two.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
So what exactly is the difference between the 38x0 and 4900? Ink economy, print speed, size, and $$$$? Or is there more to it?

etrigan63

The 4900 can take roll paper and has a built-in cutter, larger ink tanks, and can take heavier media IIRC. Built like a tank and has the option of a built-in spectrophotometer.

etrigan63

You know, life just likes to throw you curve balls every couple of innings. While I was contemplating this, my school came through and got me the ink and paper order I requested for both printers. Now, the printhead has died on the Canon and will cost me around $500 to replace it (which I don't have).

<SIGH>

M

megaline

I recently purchasd the 4900 and am very unhappy to discover that there is no way to center smaller prints on larger paper without Mac software and or equipment. I was informed that Windows 7 based PC's Photoshop 5.5 cannot center an 8x10 or 5x7 image on an 8 1/2 x11 page. I have been using my old epson 2200 for years and decided to move up to the 4900, even though I cannot print the smaller papers on it. They tell me that there is a way in Apple soft ware to set up page margins that offset the leader that pulls the "cut paper" page through the printer, thereby giving you a centered photo. I cannot justify moving over to Macintosh to accomplish this! Any suggestions?

kdphotography

Perhaps Qimage can help? http://www.ddisoftware.com/

Qimage is the PC based printer utility (poor man's rip) that makes Apple Mac users want to switch to PC. Well, okay, not really, but Qimage Ultimate is really really good. The best part is that it helps keep all your custom icc profiles in order. :D

Last edited: