The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

16bit Printing Advantages?

JimGoshorn

I have heard that the gradients are smoother in 16bit but are there any other noticeable advantages to 16bit printing?

Thanks!

Jim

S

sara_criss

it depends on what the situation is and what your use is.....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jim:

In actual practice, the difference is nominal -- in most cases the printer's dithering algorithms are so good as to prevent banding -- but the bottom line is that more color is almost always better ;) In fact, the only real downside to 16-bit is file size...

M

mdb123

i've done some printing in 16 dpi and i was pretty impressed, it seemed to look a lot better to me

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, for the 3800 for example, if one sends data to the print at 360 dpi and printer settings are set to 2880 by 1440, then each dpi "cell" consists of 8 by 4 dots which is equivalent to 32, 32 state bits (four states since the printer is capable of printing in 3 different dot sizes or none of eight colors. To take advantage of all that possible gradation, it turns out that 16 bit printing ia 256 times better than eight, bit it looks like the printer might actually be able to take advantage of 32 bit printing and have dithers to spare :shocked:
this is one possible reason that almost nobody can see the difference between 2880 and 1440 printing on that printer, that is unless you were very careful in the selection of colors and you did it with knowledge of the dithering algorithm.
-bob