The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3000 vs. 3880? Help me decide

ZoranC

I am looking at purchasing the printer and I have narrowed down the choices to Epson 3000 and 3880.

What attracts me to 3880 is bigger prints.

What attracts me to 3000 is that I will be getting 220dpi out of my 12MP files with it, vs 180 with 3880, and that it has 2 picoliter drops vs 3.5 for 3880, which implies better print quality out of 3000 when looked up close, especially when it comes to skin gradations.

But at same time I keep wondering whether one could perceive any difference when 13x19 220dpi print with 2 picoliter 3000 and 17x22 180dpi print with 3.5 picoliter 3880 are looked at from their respective regular viewing distances?

And how much of perceptible difference would be between 13x19 220dpi print with 2 picoliter 3000 and 13x19 220dpi print with 3.5 picoliter 3880 are looked at from same viewing distance that is regular for 13x19 print?

Please advise.

robertwright

Imo the biggest difference is ink tanks size is it not? the 3880 comes with much larger tanks and economical by a factor of at least 3 over the 3000. At least that is my experience with the 3800 over other 13" epson printers.

the dot size will not matter afaik - I've never really seen the dots. Things like gloss differential are more obnoxious when they come up, and the ultrachrome has that mostly figured out.

ZoranC

Imo the biggest difference is ink tanks size is it not? the 3880 comes with much larger tanks and economical by a factor of at least 3 over the 3000. At least that is my experience with the 3800 over other 13" epson printers.
Well, more economical cartridges in 3880 do also play a pro to me but I am focusing this thread solely on perception of output quality.

the dot size will not matter afaik - I've never really seen the dots. Things like gloss differential are more obnoxious when they come up, and the ultrachrome has that mostly figured out.
I am not concerned whether I will be seeing dots, I am more concerned how skin gradations will look like.

raywest

Hi ZoranC,

please, can you link to an Epson page wrt the printers you are talking about? The Epson 3000, which you mention 5 times in your original post, is an old 4 colour printer from what I'm finding. I don't think that is the model you are comparing.

Best wishes,

Ray

cjlacz

I am looking at purchasing the printer and I have narrowed down the choices to Epson 3000 and 3880.

And how much of perceptible difference would be between 13x19 220dpi print with 2 picoliter 3000 and 13x19 220dpi print with 3.5 picoliter 3880 are looked at from same viewing distance that is regular for 13x19 print?
I'm looking at the same two printers. I didn't know the ink size was different, but in all the reviews I've read it's never been mentioned so I wouldn't expect it matters much. The ink costs (3880 being cheaper) is the major selling point for me. If I was in the US and could get the $300 mail-in rebate I'd have it on order already. With the extra ink it seems like a much better deal than the R3000.

I'm wondering if the 3880 is due to be replaced anytime soon? It's been over two years since it's launch and it seems like it would be due considering the launch of the 4900. I'm not really familiar with Epson, so maybe I'm making bad assumptions.

raywest

Thanks for the link. If you are concerned about print quality, I think either would be more than adequate. I believe the decision should be made on how you will be using the printer. I believe both use the same ink, but depending on your local environment - mainly humidity and frequency of use - the smaller nozzles could give more problems due to nozzle clogs. On my earlier r1800, I wasted more ink in cleaning cycles than used in making prints - that had small nozzles, too. Perhaps you could get some sample prints from each, if you can get to an Epson supplier who has both.

Best wishes,
Ray