The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do YOU view shots?

gogopix

Subscriber
Couldn't figure the best place for this, but I assume OUTPUT means how you view images.
I found myself enjoying more and more the on screen images; sort of like slides of old. I started with a high res :)-) 1280x1024 screen of 18" and progresses:
24" 1600x1280
30" 1920x1280
dual 30" for 3640x1280
dual 30" 2650x1600 for 5300x1600

and now..............

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
This is fine for exterior and interior..

gives a 3D "walk around feel"

actually bigger than M8 files but not quite big enough yet for my P45+

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Of course, when you have people near the midline no so great (except makes ME look taller!!)

Can't wait for 'bezeless monitors

dual Dual DVI cards and such create more heat and more teraflops than the CPU!

Anyway, I find it quite enjoable to view travel images this way. Not great for art, but for reproducing that remembrance of the visit to a site, this is really good stuff.

I use 4 HP (likely Samsung made) monitors and they are really bright and sharp. I use for PS only on the botto; turns out PS doesn't really like my quads and crashes (need to keep to lowere two monitors; when you expand it crashes. Also ACDSEE PRO 2.5 is really a clean and sharp renderer.

anybody else out there playing with multimonitors? I can't wait to try for 6 or 8, for P65+ images

Regards
Victor

Last edited:

LJL

Victor,
Interesting set-up for sure. Sort of like a "war room" or trading desk in some respects. Does create an interesting perspective for sure.

Have you thought about going to something like the new Leica high res projector to get the same sort of effect? It would not be as wrap-around with the multiple screens tilted for viewing, but it may provide a very similar color, clarity and resolution look for the viewing you are using this for. Just a suggestion.

This set-up would be nicer with thinner or no bezels for sure. Also, way over my budget, both for cost, space, and hardware/software to power for anything beyond display use alone. Are you able to keep all of these color calibrated, or does that not matter as much for you usage like this? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing this set-up you have assembled.

LJ

gogopix

Subscriber
Maybe a feed to a 60 inch plasma from the computer would be nice for viewing
we have a 10 year old 50" plasma that works fine but is only 1350x768

even the best plasmas are only going to be 1080p (that is "something" by1080)

ok for slide shows but doesn't really allow 'diving in' to the frame

I remember taking shots from a hill in Puy en Velay where I really couldn't even see the castle on a hill.
With the P45+ and the schneider 35mm I could zoom in to actual size and see a lot of detail

sort of playing around, but then again, to me more fun than playing DOOM!

LOL

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Panasonic has a 150" that is 4k. (pixels, not price!!!)

It's just a huge single sheet of glass. Actually, the normal process is to take the 150" sheet and break it down into 9 50" pieces for 9 50" tv's.

That stated, your dot pitch is VASTLY better with a computer monitor over a tv. Personally, I'm looking forward to the T221 from IBM coming back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors

If they can do 9 MP of glory on a 22"; then they should be able to get all 12 MP (Canon 5D) on a 30" ;-) Err... make that 22 MP (Canon 5D mark2!) LOL

N

nei1

digital projector and a 20foot screen held by one long armed midget with a beautiful naked girl equiped with a pointing stick.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Pfff.. if you can't view 32 megapixels at native resolution then you're really still just getting by.

Check out this matrix of options I drafted for a certain wealthy client. The max setup was estimated at $700,000 and was going to produce 35.4 megapixel viewing and require a server farm to handle the graphics output.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio