The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time for a new printer!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, not to start the Epson/Canon/Clog wars up again, but it looks like my trusty 3800 (purchased the month they first went on sale) is dying. I think its feelings are hurt that I started printing larger.

And yet there is no going back! There is a 48"x80" space in my office bordered by two pillars, so there is a wall on only one side. The options are:

1) Get a 3880. Advantage - relatively cheap and small. Disadvantage - 17x25 looks tiny now.
2) Get a large Epson - These are not so deep front to back, and the paper path is vertical, so I think either a 7xxx or 9xxx would do here. Advantage - bigger prints. Disadvantage - Fear of Clogs. Wife Acceptance Factor (term borrowed from High End Audio).
3) Succumb to Fear of Clogs (obstructophobia?) and go Canon. The 6300/8300 are deep monsters, though, and I'm not sure that 48" is enough room. Advantages - bigger prints. no clogs. Disadvantage - Bigger than Epsons.

My output in large prints is probably measured in dozens per year, not hundreds, so the obviously responsible thing to do would be send anything larger than letter size out. Yep, that's me. Responsible. :loco:

Any assistance in helping me spend money would be greatly appreciated. Attempts to talk sense will be grudgingly tolerated No! greatly appreciated! Right! :ROTFL:

Matt

Don Libby

I just upgraded my 9800 to a 9900 within the past 6-weeks. While we're still in the honeymoon stage of things I've not experienced any real problems. I think the main thing to do to prevent clogs if humidity - the more the better.

I'd suggest getting the largest you can fit/afford. I ran this same question several years ago when I was upgrading from the 4000 and felt I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. And surprise - I began printing much larger than I had before and now very glad I have it. I currently have 4 different roll sizes that I keep in stock, 42, 36, 24 and 17.

I'll gladly help you out in spending money! Spending other peoples money is a new hobby of mine...:D

etrigan63

I'm sort of in the same boat: I have an HP B9180 for small cut-sheet stuff and a Canon W6400p for stuff up to 24". The Canon really needs a new head ($500) but I can get away with what I have for now. What I would like to do is sell them both and get a Canon 6300 (it is actually a hair narrower that the W6400) and use 17" paper for everyday stuff and 24" paper for special occasions.

Like Matt:

1) I print client stuff at a local lab. No one has ordered any fine art prints for me to justify a new printer. I mostly use the Canon for myself and student projects and the school ponies up for ink and supplies.
2) Wife Acceptance Factor: remove one enormous (in her eyes) monstrosity for one of equal size (actually 1/2" narrower, but i won't tell her that). The other printer is inside a cabinet and wouldn't be missed if removed.

My options are:

SANE OPTION #1: get a 17" roll of paper to reduce waste keep going till what I have dies and cannot be fixed.
SANE OPTION #2: SO-1 plus buy a new print head while I still can and change it when this one completely croaks.
INSANE OPTION #1: Sell the printers and get a 6300 plus 17" roll of paper.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re Epson clogs. It is a fact of life, especially if you let your x900 sit for long periods between sessions. Just yesterday I printed for the first time since December(!) on my 7900. I did a regular cleaning and had the LC and PK inks clogged. So I did another regular clean, and those two were still clogged. So I succumbed and did both of the pairs those colors were on -- they're different -- and all was fine. My point here is that was the absolute worst cleaning session I have had to deal with, and it took maybe 15 minutes total -- not bad frankly for 3 months of sitting doing nothing. While a small PITA, the cleanings are not difficult, and the output off the x900 is so stellar I am happy to live with them.

MGrayson

Still negotiating on the large printer at this end. (OK, disclaimer: I like to blame my wife for any delayed purchases, but it's just a running gag. She is, for the purposes of my kvetching, just the personification of my common sense.) :rolleyes:

But she actually DOES have a strong objection to the 9900 - it won't print 4x6, which is her favorite size. Never mind that I could print two to a sheet and trim. "No! It won't be perfect like the Epson Glossy 4x6 sheets". :ROTFL:

In the meantime, a 3880 should show up sometime soon, and my step-brother-in-law's 7900 will just have to do for the occasional larger print.

--Matt

And a question: Does it make sense to take the mostly full cartridges out of the dead 3800 and use them in the new printer, saving the unopened included ink for when the old ones run out? Or does that anger the ink gods?

etrigan63

But she actually DOES have a strong objection to the 9900 - it won't print 4x6, which is her favorite size. Never mind that I could print two to a sheet and trim. "No! It won't be perfect like the Epson Glossy 4x6 sheets". :ROTFL:
My wife says EXACTLY the same thing! I was also thinking about the Epson Stylus Pro 4900 and she asked me if it could print 4x6...

Well, I could print 4 to a sheet of 8x12...

bensonga

What's that little 4x6 printer Epson made at one time....ah yes, the "PictureMate". Perfect for the wife's snapshot photo prints. Bought one for my wife when she got her first digital camera.....she loved it!......and never asked me again to print snapshots on my Epson 2400 or 3880. :D

I can only dream of having enough space for a floor standing Epson/Canon/HP printer.....and a camera with the resolution to create images for those big prints.

Gary

MGrayson

Well, as far as resolution goes, look in the m4/3 forum for Manouch's panoramas. The other day on the High Line, he grabbed my camera, quickly shot a 2x2, and processed it into a 40 MP architecture shot before I had the lens cap back on. :cool:

Very dangerous.

Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Matt,

:ROTFL: Indeed, Manouch does impressive work with his "little" kit! It is fun to watch him work it too!

etrigan63

Just an update on my printer situation. I used my Canon W6400pg to print the exhibition prints for my students for their final art show of the year. One of the dads who is a professional printer was marveling at the quality of the prints.

So it looks like sane option #2 for me.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Time to join this conversation. I now feel the need to move up in terms of printers from my 3800 to something quite a bit larger. Rather than investing in camera gear I'm now at the point where a significant investment(for the LONG term) in a decent printer is required that allows me to print bigger than 17x22 which frankly today feels like just proof prints.

If you were starting from scratch, don't have to worry about the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and you have a dedicated office, what would you recommend for someone that wants to print big but it may sit for a few weeks between sessions so the clog issue is a big one for me. Luckily I live in an environment where it's probably the goldilocks in terms of humidity - not too low, not too high either.

Thoughts? Budget is $6k or less unless convinced otherwise.

JimCollum

I've been running a 24" HP Z3100 since they came out (2008 if i recall). Prior to that, I've had an Epson 9000, 9500, 7500, 7600. All of the Epson's have clogged.

I've never had a single clog with the HP. It has sat idle for months, and when I want to print, it prints first time with no cleanings. (It does wake up on it's own every so often and checks the nozzles itself to make sure it's not clogged). I've never had to replace a head.. but if I do.. they're user installable and only $50 for a pair.

When it's finally time to move up.. I'll be going HP again

(plus, it can create custom profiles in minutes)

jim

Kirmo

Small prints with big printer.

I don't complain. As with my Epson 9900
it's so easy to print for my wife.

She wants a few hundred small prints.

I get the files. Import to Lightroom.
Use my pre-set which is 6 small prints on one long page.
44" inch roll paper.

I choose all photos in Lightroom.
Press print one.

Take a coffee break.

Collect the long strips and give these to my wife.
She does the needed cutting.

So it can't be much easier. No hassle with paper sheets!

ps. If she wants different amounts of copies from the pictures
I make as many virtual copies as needed. So selecting all and
"Print One" produces always the need amount of prints!

scho

Time to join this conversation. I now feel the need to move up in terms of printers from my 3800 to something quite a bit larger. Rather than investing in camera gear I'm now at the point where a significant investment(for the LONG term) in a decent printer is required that allows me to print bigger than 17x22 which frankly today feels like just proof prints.

If you were starting from scratch, don't have to worry about the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and you have a dedicated office, what would you recommend for someone that wants to print big but it may sit for a few weeks between sessions so the clog issue is a big one for me. Luckily I live in an environment where it's probably the goldilocks in terms of humidity - not too low, not too high either.

My iPF6100 is still cranking out great prints after 4 years. I had to replace one head last year, but never had a single clog. Excellent color and B&W with no special software required, other than well made icc profiles.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member

Hi Graham,
Totally agree with Jim, I bought my HP Z3100,44" ps in June of 2007 and never had any problem so far, never clogged and in one occasion even I didn't use it for more than 6 months, a few ink cartridges are still the original ones (every time I get a message that they are expired :)) and making the ICC files are very easy. Just two points:
1- you can not use sheets smaller than 11x14, and feeding sheets are difficult so I never use them.
2- you have to install the rolls from the back of the printer so you need some room in the back of the printer, I manage to install the rolls from the front but it's not easy. The red ink in Z3200 has been improved.
Best,

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The HP Z3x00 is right at the top of my list. I'll take a look at the new one and compare. The lack of clogging is big for me.

Thanks everyone.