The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson R3000 and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag

Aryan Aqajani

I am Mac user (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4) and frequently calibrate my monitor with Spyder Elite 3. I have no problem printing color images with this printer using Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper with Official Ilford color profile. However, I am trying to print some TIF black and white scans from 6x7 negatives (Adobe RGB 1998) on Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 305gsm and/or Photo Rag Ultrasmooth 308gsm paper but I cannot find out why my black and white prints are greenish!?

I downloaded the official Hahnemuehle profiles for these papers, chose Velvet Fine Art Paper as recommended, chose Photoshop manages color, Color Settings under Printer Setting was off, Black Point Compensation ticked, Rendering was Relative Colorimetric, Matte Black chosen. Soft proofed them in Photoshop CS5, played with levels and curves to make it look as close as to original image. I even converted the Adobe 1998 file into Grayscale to remove any color cast I might have added to warm up tones, still no luck!!! There is a greenish cast over them!!!

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

Aryan Aqajani

Thanks to the reply from one of the members at LoLa, I find out that Epson ABW mode is the way to go for B&W printing. After some test todays, I can confirm that no colors cast whatsoever in this mode. Also, better tonal range and smoother graduation.

pophoto

I have the same printer, but have only printed in color so far. Thanks for sharing :)

As far calibration is concerned, I also used the Spyder studio 3, and although I calibrate my two LCD monitors the color temperature are somewhat different and so is the grey scale values, however, I also calibrate my printer to make sure the color accurate, for what it's worth (it does match one of the monitors)!