The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody know what could cause this?

N

nei1

Scanned the neg using minolta 5400 and found this,anyone know what could cause it?Its a 10year old neg but stored pretty well,dry etc,any ideas?____________________Neil.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Neil,
Are you referring to the lines and specs?
I am not sure, but the lines could be the result of drying marks or fungus growth.
Clean the negative with a good gentle negative cleaner and then use an anti-ststic brush to get a bit more of the dust of before scanning it again. I have had reasonably good results using Edwal Anti-stat film cleaner and a pecpad followed up with a touch of canned air or a anti-stat brush (the radioactive type).
Sadly, no matter how hard you try, you will be faced with spotting the results in PS.
-bob

N

nei1

Thanks Bob,thats more or less what I thought.I was a little worried that it was some sort of electrical discharge from the scanner.Ive checked a few negs and it seems to have affected at least 3 rolls of kodak technical pan,other filmtypes seem unaffected.(up until now!)__________ Neil.

Robert Campbell

I have similar lines on Kodachromes from the 1960s and later; some of them have a central blob with radiating lines -- black on slides, of course -- your scan is converted to a positive. I think yours are also fungus -- I didn't notice it until I scanned.

N

nei1

Thanks Bertie,Im going to try cleaning the affected negs and go on from there.____Neil