The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pulling my hair out!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I surrender! I need help. After a long hiatus from printing I started again a few days ago. I encountered a few differences as noted in another thread, but resolved those and thought I was back on track. No! I cannot get a print even close off my 3800. When I printed from it last, a few months ago, it was lovely. Now, either through PS or from the colorburst RIP, I can't even get in the ballpark. The prints are not just off, they're maddeningly distorted, almost surreal.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to debug this, I would be very grateful. I'm guessing that I have some sort of double color management going on, or have somehow forgotten how to correctly setup the various print dialogs. (by the way, does it really have to be this complicated?).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions I might try before I throw the printer into the pond.

Tim

p.s. OS 10.5.5, CS4, latest drivers for Epson installed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim:

Without seeing the prints, it's hard to diagnose. But almost always, bad color on Epsons is due to double profiling --- IOW having CS manage color using your dedicated paper profile, then NOT getting the color management turned off in the Epson printer dialog...

If using Colorburst RIP properly, it should do all that automatically though. So the only other option is a clogged head?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
First do the manual nozzle check and make sure there are no gaps.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Lesson learned, watch your nozzles! After a check and a clean, the printer is once again providing joy and happiness. Thanks Jack!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I Had the same problem with LR2 and the Canon ipf6100. I found out there is a bug resulting in double profiling with certain paper selections. There is a work around but kind of a PITA.

helenhill

Tim
Would LOVE to see the "maddengly distorted ,almost surreal" shots..... some might be Cool ;)
Sorry to hear its frustrating
best-H

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Helen. Fortunately, everything has returned to the harmonious color vibrations and black and white fidelity that I crave (and deserve!). Which is not to say that a trip now and then isn't just the thing. ;)