The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Monitor Advice Please, NEC or Dell?

tsjanik

I want to upgrade the NEC CRT monitor I've used for the past several years. I've considered the NEC PA271w and Dell U2711. Is the NEC worth the extra cost? I could get a Dell U3011 for the price of the NEC. The monitor will be used only for photography.

Any advice appreciated,

Tom

tsjanik

David:

I can purchase the 27" NEC with spectraview, but if I can can get good performance at a lesser price, that's great. My interest is producing good prints, the monitor will be used for nothing else. Absolute color accuracy is not essential.

Tom

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have the NEC 30. Expensive but IMHO worth it. Superb. But of course it will be hard to find a side by side comparisons itch the Dell. If you are using it for prints, you do want color fidelity.

David Schneider

Tom,
You might want to look at ASUS .

In a week or so I'll probably add an Asus PA246q for my studio retoucher. If she wants something larger I'll just add a small second monitor for her Photoshop tools.

Don Libby

I've got 2-Dell 30" (3008WFP and U3011) monitors in the studio in Tucson and a smaller 2407WFP in Jackson. The 2-30" are connected to a Precision T7500 and the 24" is connected to my laptop when I go there.

I've never had problems with color management on any Dell monitor I've used and currently use Spyder4Pro on everything.

Seeing as how I have a total of 3 Dell computers and 4 monitors I kinda pro Dell at the moment.

One thing I've learned from dealing with Dell over the years is that it is much better to deal with them over the phone than the net. I also utilize the small business section.

Don

schuster

I can't compare with Dell monitors, but I have a NEC MulitiSync PA 271W with the dedicated X-right sensor. The display is beautiful, but for matching Epson 7900 output, it just doesn't compare to the closer-to-perfect ancient CRT LaCie Electron 19 Blue III. The LaCie has lost much of its contrast in its old age, but that has actually improved highlight and shadow detail. It is years beyond its stated lifetime, and I'll have to buy a replacement when it gives up the ghost. I'm considering Eizo.

tsjanik

Thanks for the replies all. I get the impression that picking a monitor is like picking a camera - they’re all good but slightly different. My old CRT is fine, but I really need a smaller footprint and would like a larger screen.

Dan Ortego

Occasionally, NEC runs a special price on the PA271W with Spectra II, cables and Hood. I got mine for $1199. I ordered mine from B&H (free shipping) but I’m sure it’s available from several sources.

To this day I remain very pleased with this arrangement with my MacPro. It works seamlessly whenever I boot up into Windows-7 via Bootcamp. I have also owned an Eizo but it wasn’t anywhere near as good as the NEC. If I could justify the expense I would go for the 30-inch unit but still. Sorry, no experience with the Dell but from what I have read a lot people do.

PA271W-BK, 27 Widescreen Professional Graphics Desktop Monitor - Highlights & Specifications | NEC Display Solutions

JonMo

I have used the Dells and NECs and I think the best bang for the buck is the pa27.
I prefer the lower resolution as my eyes had trouble reading print on the pa30.
I like the way the PA uses it own internals to calibrate as apposed to the LUT on the video card.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Is there any advantage to the Spectraview version if I already have a Colormunki? Does the internal calibration still work?

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems to me that you'd be pretty well served with the ColorMunki to be honest. It may not be QUITE as accurate as NEC's offering but close enough for all practical purposes (I use it too). I'm very very tempted by the non Spectraview version at that B&H price myself!

See: ColorWiki - NEC PA271W Review

Btw, you can always buy the SpectraView kit afterwards ...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The SpectraView software ($99) claims to be Colormunki compatible, so I suppose it's too good a deal to pass up.

But.. it's *only* 27"! :ROTFL: Of course, two of them at that price is several hundred less than a single 30". Or I could just keep my aging HP LP3065 as the second monitor... hmmm...

Well, B&H is closed for Shabbat, so I have a day to think it over.

--Matt

RGoldman

ColorEyes Display software works with the NEC's now as well. I have been using it for years and have been very happy with the software and the customer service!

tsjanik

Thanks for the tip Ron. The B&H price for the NEC is quite good. I was ready to purchase and then calculated that a 27”, 16:9 monitor gives me no larger screen image than my 21” 4:3 CRT, since most of my images are 4:3. I would have area on the side for PS menus, but I use a 2nd monitor for that. I need to go to a 30”, 16:10 screen to get a larger image. For the rest of you undecideds: Dell has the U3011 for $1050 this weekend. I can’t justify the cost of 30” NEC, so for me it’s down to a 27” NEC or 30” Dell. :confused:

Tom

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I recently went through the same process and ended up biting the bullet for the 30" NEC. I have zero regrets. It is superb. Color fidelity is excellent, calibration was easy (I have not tried with my Color Munki but eventually will, just out of curiosity). Coming from a 27" iMac with glossy screen (feh!), it is a huge step up.

JonMo

One large difference in the NEC pa27 and the DEll is the uniformity of the lighting on the panels.
a pa27 will average less than 5% deviation accross the panel.
The Dell u3011 can vary up to 35%.

This and colour accuracy are what you are paying extra for.

That said, with my eyes; I like the lower resolution of the 27" screen as I had a hard time reading text on the native resolution of the pa 30s I used to use. :)

tsjanik

Thanks everyone for the information. The B&H price for the NEC was too good to pass up. I did not order the Spectraview package. I would like to upgrade my sensor but would like to use it on monitors other than the NEC, so two more questions: Is the Spectraview system usable on a non NEC monitor, e.g. Dell laptop and is X-Rite i1Display Pro the same sensor as the NEC? If so, I can use it with the Dell and purchase SV software for the NEC if necessary.

Thanks,

Tom