The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If not using a printer for a few months?

turtle

Hi,

I am considering buying an Epson 3880, but will periodically disappear off overseas for a few months here and there. I am keen to avoid print nozzle blockages and wonder it there is a routine I should follow to avoid this happening when the printer is laid down for a while?

Lars

I left my Epson 3800 for a year and a half in very dry storage, then shipped it from Sweden to California again. After one cleaning it prints flawlessly. I wouldn't worry too much.

turtle

Cheers, v interesting Lars. I assumed that leaving such a printer for a while would be a nozzle killer!

This simplifies things greatly and I will go ahead and buy one.

C

cornishman

Never had that much luck with HP printers they do seem to need constant use.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I leave my 3800 for 4 months in the winter every year. I put it inside of a garbage bag before I leave. It has never had a problem starting right up again.

Don Libby

Neat trick Cindy! Make the printer think if it doesn't work then the bag is for real.:D

Joking aside - while I don't have actual experience with the 3800 I have owned a 4000, 9800 and currently a 9900. Living in the Southwest I quickly found that a lack of humidity was killer on inks. Just returned from a 8+ week shoot in Wyoming and Montana and found the 9900 was waiting and okay after running a humidifier the entire time.

Don

JimCollum

not sure about the 38xx series. My last Epson was a 7600, and it need to be printed from weekly or it would start to clog. I moved to an HP z3100, and have had it sitting idle for months at a time, with no clogs. In 5 years of owning it, have never had a single nozzle clog. Not sure about how their desktop models work though.

S

srobert

it is said that if you want to keep your printer free from problems, you should use it on regular basis. I also have bought an Epson printer before three months and traveled Argentina two times during these three months for business purpose but it is working properly.