The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with an Epson 4900 problem

durrIII

I am just now getting around to go pick up the Epson 4900 that I bought a few months ago. Now the seller tells me that he tried to print something recently and the printer would not print. He said that an error code came up saying that the ink was over 6 months old and he needed to call Epson to have something reset. Is this something that happens when you do not use a 4900 for some time? The printer is 13 months old.

Anybody have this come up or heard about this before?

thanks for your help.

Durr

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have had a 4900 for a couple of years...will go for months with no prints...have had it cycle a couple of times to clear the heads but nothing like the issue you mention.

One can run a status print to show age of cartridges and level of ink....

Worth a call to Epson.

Great printer...and with Image Print 9 fabulous output.

Bob

durrIII

Thanks Bob. I will get it home and call Epson on Monday. For $650, I think I can gamble on it, don't you? Or do you?

Durr

kdphotography

A new Epson 4900 is about $1500 with rebates----so $650 sounds like a great deal, if it's working!

I doubt "age of ink" is an issue, particularly at "six months." I'd place bets on a printer ink cartridge error with either a bad cartridge chip (get a new ink cartridge) or at worse the reader inside the printer for that ink bay is damaged.

ken

durrIII

Hey Guys

I got the 4900 and installed the printer, updated the driver from Epson and printed an image. It printed but not very good. Says it is low ink in Lt Blk, but not out. There are little horizontal lines in part of the print (strange). I cannot find the profiles for the 4900 when I should pick my type of paper. Why do they not show up when I print set up in CS4?

thanks

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Durr,

Lines means that the head is clogged at some place....need to go into the menu on the printer and do a cleaning cycle...maybe more than once.

I use Image Print for my profiles and it is dead on accurate...been using it for so long that I have no idea how Epson is doing....

At $650 you can replace all the inks and still be ahead.

It is a wonderful printer and is worth the effort to sort out these issues.

Best of luck.

Bob

kdphotography

CS6 definitely recommended, but it's not the culprit here.

I would change the low ink cartridge, despite showing some ink left in the tank. Sometimes a low cartridge is the culprit in "banding" that you see displayed in some problem prints. Nozzle check should show what nozzles (colors) are blocked. Start with cleaning pairs and then another nozzle check; I think you have several blocked nozzles and may need to clean them all. Your image shows that it is a bit more than a "profile" issue imho...

raywest

Hi Durr,

If you haven't got it, then download the manual from here, say - http://www.colourbyte.co.uk/download/EPSON_Brochures/4900-Manual.pdf

Page 113 explains about clogged nozzles. It is not always clogged nozzles, but air getting into the ink lines. I would suggest you get two sets of cartridges - you may end up using a load of ink in purging air and unblocking nozzles. unless they've changed it, one colour block, you waste ink in the others while cleaning. Imnsho, humidity is a problem with these printers, some folk in some places get no problems, even printing just once a week or less, others have continuous head blockages.

Best wishes,

Ray