The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spyder3 Studio or ??

robmac

Am about to order a screen profiling rig (i12) but am contemplating the idea of getting a combo screen/printer kit. For some units, getting 2 papers custom profiled (1 B&W + 1 color profile/paper = 4 profiles) at $100/pop would almost make having your own unit worthwhile.

While deciphering the new X-rite product line is a PITA, the i12 Photo seems to be considered the best, but is pretty spendy.

Not impressed with the reviews so far on the ColorMunkie - and limited (at least in 1 stage) color sampling.

The compromise in terms of price and performance (large color and B&W samples, etc) seems to be the Spyder3 Studio kit. Anyone care to share their experiences with same?

Edit - that said, I am starting to warm to the i1 photo LT if anyone has any thoughts on same.

An aside - who in the #$%^ in charge of the product management at X-rite? What a convoluted mess.

Last edited:

robmac

Looking at the i1 Photo LT, am getting impression the 'small' color checker chart system, like the ColorMunkie's may not offer the best results - given the $$ involved.

E

edwinb

I have used an I1 (without uv filter) for 100's screen and print calibrations and swear by it. I have also seen the reviews of ColorMunki seem to have improved so am looking for a comparison.

robmac

Yeah, think I'm going for the I1 and outsource my paper calibrations. I do mostly B&W and ABW profiles are fully available, so only need 2-3 custom color profiles.

Dale Allyn

I use I1 and outsource paper profiles. I decided that it was too costly for the whole profile package (including hardware, software, etc.) for the best paper profiles, especially since I try to stay to only a few paper types.

CM sounds useful in concept, but I'm waiting to see if the kinks get worked out to my satisfaction before I try it.

etrigan63

I have tested the ColorMunki (review coming soon) and am currently testing the Spyder3Studio. The Spyder3's method for scanning the print test target uses a guide and makes the scanning simple. The Munki is freehand and can get sticky if you are not "Steady Eddy".