The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3800 possible replacement?

jpaulmoore

Hello All,
Looks like my tried and true Epson needs a new print head. Is this a costly repair? Trying to decide if I should have it repaired or replace it. I could go with a Epson 3880 and I would be in familiar territory or I could go with another brand. Are there another other equivalent models by Canon or HP that I should consider or am I better off with Epson?
Thanks,
J. Paul

Jeffg53

A few years back, I suspected that I would need to replace the head on my 3800. The price was around $600. Fortunately, I sorted it out.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My 4900 just died...rumor from my dealer is the 3800 is discontinued...

Something in the works.

May be worth the wait.

Bob

Dan Berg

3800 has been discontinued for 2 or 3 years.
3880 is the replacement.
Just get a 3880 as you can use all of your 3800 carts except 2.
It is hands down the best 17 " printer on the market for the price.

docmoore

3800 has been discontinued for 2 or 3 years.
3880 is the replacement.
Just get a 3880 as you can use all of your 3800 carts except 2.
It is hands down the best 17 " printer on the market for the price.
Actually the 3880 is DC'd...3800 was indeed yesterdays news.

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks ...I need a new printer after year end and have been procrastinating ....always hoping for a new Epson that doesn t flush most of my ink in cleaning . I think that may be like a razor blade that lasts ?

jpaulmoore

Thanks all! Looks like the 3880 is a good solution. So there is not an issue removing cartridges from my 3800 and using them in the 3880 when these cartridges need replacing? Other than being stored upright, are there any things to keep in mind while storing?
Thanks,
J. Paul

erudolph

Thanks ...I need a new printer after year end and have been procrastinating ....always hoping for a new Epson that doesn t flush most of my ink in cleaning . I think that may be like a razor blade that lasts ?
This is off topic but the razor blade that lasts is the Personna 74. I think that's why they stopped making them… :)

docmoore

Thanks all! Looks like the 3880 is a good solution. So there is not an issue removing cartridges from my 3800 and using them in the 3880 when these cartridges need replacing? Other than being stored upright, are there any things to keep in mind while storing?
Thanks,
J. Paul
Not K3 inks...do not think they are compatible.

Bob

Dan Berg

Sorry Bob that is not correct.
It is a well know fact they are both K3 inks and they all fit the 3880 except two. The magenta and light magenta in the 3800 has been replaced with the vivid light magenta and vivid magenta in the 3880.
Being able to use the inks was probably the biggest reason I purchased the 3880 when my 3800 tanked.
Where did you hear the 3880 has been discontinued?

docmoore

The ink thing is nice...did not have 3800 went from 2200 to 3880 to a 4900 which recently died...clogged head...replacement was 90% the cost of a new printer.

While I was working through the 4900 difficulty I talked in depth with my dealer....their knowledge is that the 3880 will be replaced at the first of the year.
And they are a big distributer with a long history of watching Epson change products.

If the replacement 38 series printer follows the 48-->4900 series improvement in print quality it may be worth the wait.

Bob