The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mavericks and my Canon ImagePrograf W6400

etrigan63

I have a Canon ImagePrograf W6400 that had been pickled for a couple of years until business picked up. Now I find that Canon has no drivers for Mavericks and that the OS may support it directly. I have e-mailed Canon support but it was after hours so I am not expecting an answer any time soon. There are drivers for Windows 7 which I can run in a virtual machine, but I don't have any printing software for Windows.

Any suggestions? I don't want to roll my Mac back to a older version of the OS and I don't have any other Macs handy.

etrigan63

Actually, I used Virtualbox (free virtualization software) to setup a Windows 7 virtual machine and i was able to load the print drivers and a copy of Lightroom for printing the images.

Thomas Fallon

Here is a link to the Mavericks driver for the 6400. Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : imagePROGRAF iPF6400. The list is not exactly in order, so you may have missed it. Hope this helps. We have an 8300 and had to originally run two updates to get it working. Canon support is lousy, i.e. the ability to find information. But when I've written to them directly, I usually get an answer in 24 hours. Good luck!

Charles Wood

FWIW, I've found that calling Canon support in their Virginia call center, and getting connected with the techs that support large format printers, is the quickest and most direct way of getting help. I've never had them be unable to answer my question or correct an issue. Snail mail or email takes much longer and the call center will assist you, with no charge, even if out of warranty--unlike other major electronics companies who want a credit card number to talk with you about an out of warranty product.

etrigan63

Canon offered me three choices:
1. Roll back my Mac to an older OS
2. Use a Windows 7 box to run the printer
3. Buy an IPF 6400 to replace mine.

I stuck with my VM.

etrigan63

Can you send me the link to the Mavericks driver? I want to install it and see if it recognizes my printer.

etrigan63

Mine says the manufacturer's software is installed incorrectly and that I need to re-install it. But there is no manufacturer's software for the W6400.

juanjullian

Im using an Epson 9800 in Mavericks, using Parallels with Windows XP is the best option, tried also with Windows 7. The driver for Windows, in my case, is better.