The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9800 serious light black problem

juanjullian

Hi,

i've bought recently the epson 9800 with a new printhead.

i've tested with some graphics, some colors, logos etc. And it works perfectly, until i want to print a photo or picture.

I'm using 3rd party inks (i bought with 3rd party inks included), and 3rd party cartridges too.

When i print photos, the light gray is printing much more dark than it have to be, so i've decided to print a simple HSL chart to see where's the problem. And voila, there's a terrible problem with light grays tones. I need to know if is a wrong ink refill problem (I never needed refill the cartridges, but the previous owner could have made a mistake), or its a color management problem. I'm attaching the original image, and scanned 2 printed tests:

the darker is in a luster 260grs photo roll, Premium Luster setting and lower a little the density.

and second with hi-def bond 120grs roll, singleweight matte setting and lower a little the density.

I have to lower a little the density because: monitor is not calibrated and it's the simplest solution.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

juanjullian

Is there any way to print each cartridge color rectangle to see if there's one of the three blacks wrong filled (ex. Light Light black cartridge filled with light black ink)?

Thanks

kdphotography

It could also be a pigment settling issue in the cartridge. The ink carts sometimes need occasional gentle agitation if not used regularly. The problem is, even if the pigment in the cartridge has settled and you agitate the cartridge, you still need to push the "old" ink out of the lines.

I'd flush the printer and start over using only Epson Ultrachrome K3 inks. K7 B&W piezography is the only case where I would consider 3rd Party inks.

ken

juanjullian

It could also be a pigment settling issue in the cartridge. The ink carts sometimes need occasional gentle agitation if not used regularly. The problem is, even if the pigment in the cartridge has settled and you agitate the cartridge, you still need to push the "old" ink out of the lines.

I'd flush the printer and start over using only Epson Ultrachrome K3 inks. K7 B&W piezography is the only case where I would consider 3rd Party inks.

ken
Thanks for replying!

If i'm not wrong, the LK ink is which must have a settled pigment issue? Tomorrow i'll to agitate all cartridges. And if isn't enough, i'll drain the system and will start over with original K3 inks. How can i drain the lines? there's a safer method that you would recommend?

And if not, there's a real possibility that the cartridges have been filled erroneously?

Thanks for your time.

juanjullian

I've made a test with only black ink (the driver give 3 options: Color, Advanced B&W and Black. i selected the third). Surprisingly, with Black selected, the print is ok, showing blacks as it must be. But when i select Advanced B&W the print is showing the same issue.

I've agitated the cartridges with no result, i think i have to do the initial refill, i'll do and will post results.

Thanks